A question about Forum etiquette

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ClintMA

A question about Forum etiquette

Post by ClintMA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:16 am

The LiveCode Forums are one of the best features of LiveCode. I am amazed at the time and effort that very knowledgeable folks put into helping those of us, like myself, who are just bumbling along trying to learn LiveCode.

Here is my dilemma: When I post a question on the Forums and receive one or more answers, it seems rude not to post a final reply saying, "Thank you!". And yet, as a reader of the Forums, those non-substance posts seem annoying and a waste of time and space, when I'm trying to learn something.

So, do those people who spend a lot of time helping on the Forums prefer a thank-you post or not?

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: A question about Forum etiquette

Post by Simon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:32 am

Thank you for asking that.

Now how do you feel :)

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:00 am

To me, a thank you post that indicates the problem is resolved is valuable. If there is no reply, then it's hard to know whether the responses to the OP were helpful.
Plus, this is a community and I think some friendly interaction is desirable, not that I have any right to state any forum policy. Courtesy aside, is it really that distracting to read those short lines expressing gratitude and pleasure at solving a problem?

sritcp

Post by sritcp » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Often, a number of people respond to an original post, providing very different perspectives on the problem.
Even when one of them provides the immediate solution to the OP's specific problem, the range of responses add to the broader understanding of the issue, which is probably more important to the larger audience.
Many of the experts on this forum spend a great deal of time helping us out, time that must have a significant opportunity cost to them.
Thanking them is an appropriate way of letting them know they haven't wasted their time.

Occasionally, when I stumble upon a nasty, rancorous exchange on the internet, the unpleasant feeling lingers on for a while.
Conversely, when I visit a forum where the people are kind, helpful, and grateful, the good feeling seems to have a long half-life, too.

Thanks,
Sri

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi.

What everyone said.

I do this because it prevents me from doing my day job. And a "thank you" is comforting in that the OP has confirmed he has seen the responses, whether they were useful or not. It is a form of closure, beyond simple politeness....

Craig Newman

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:41 pm

As a welcoming and friendly group, we like when people act naturally. Thanking people for their help is both natural and appreciated, not only for the closure it provides but just because it's a nice thing to do. We have very few rules here other than "don't be a jerk."
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful and courteous question.

IMO expressions of gratitude are never a mistake, here or elsewhere in life.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

ClintMA

Post by ClintMA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses. It's clear that courtesy trumps expediency on these forums -- and that's great. I also agree that it's helpful to let everyone know if the solutions provided work.

Return to “Off-Topic”