Slow Menu Access

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

RSeer

Slow Menu Access

Post by RSeer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:11 pm

I just upgraded Rev. Studio from 2.9 to 3.5 on Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Accessing the Revolution menus when my stack is open takes approx. 25 secs. to drop down. The menus work fine before I open my stack. Also, my own stack menus work OK.

This happened with 3.0 as well, which resulted in my uninstalling it. Before I uninstall 3.5, I'm hoping someone in the forum has a solution.

Thanks, RSeer

malte

Post by malte » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:40 am

Hi,

this sounds like a broken revPreferences.rev stack.

Try locating revPreferences.rev on your harddisk and while rev is closed remove that file from its location on the HD. Next time you launch rev a new preferences stack will be created and you should be up to speed again.

Hope that helps,

Malte

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Clever sleuthing, Malte, but I'm curious: how did you come to that conclusion?

That would never have occurred to me (then again, I don't use the Rev IDE). I can't imagine what Prefs could be doing that would allow menus to work but slow them down like that.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

malte

Post by malte » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Only found it in a painful debugging session at a clients place. And I am still puzzled how a broken prefs stack could cause so much trouble. The mean thing is that it does not happen to occur for everyone (then it could be nailed down what the actual cause is) and it only seems to happen with upgrades to the IDE. We had that one on use- list too

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-r ... 15415.html
When 3.0 came out. I can just imagine that there is some sort of script error in revpreferences, which is in return suppressed by the IDE, but that is just speculation.

Cheers,

Malte

pelkofg053

Post by pelkofg053 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:23 pm

I had the same 'slow IDE menus' problem after upgrading to Studio 3.5 on Windows. I never would have discovered the cause.

Thanks!

George

RSeer

Post by RSeer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Well Malte, I tried your suggestion and, unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

I feel there must be something in my stack that's affecting Revolution, but I can't think of what that might be.

If anybody has any other ideas, let me know.

Thanks again, RSeer

malte

Post by malte » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi,

is access quicker if you relaunch rev with no stack open? Does it only affect one stack? Any plugins, frontscrips or anything that modifies the messagepath?

Cheers,

Malte

RSeer

Post by RSeer » Sun May 03, 2009 11:43 pm

OK, Malte. To answer your questions:

Yes, it's quicker before I open my, or another person's stack. It definitely seems to involve my stack only.

I don't use any additional plugins.

As far as frontscripts are concerned, I commented out both the preopenstack and openstack handlers. This had no effect.

I also tried adding the pass command to the above handlers, with no effect either.

There's two hours I'll never see again.

I was checking the Read Me doc. and noticed this change to v3.0: Overhauled menu accelerator support

Might this have something to do with my problem, as it started with v3.0?

Also, I do have custom menus, which work fine, but they may be interfering in some way.

If neither of these last two suggestions are the cause, then I'm at a total loss!

Malte, thanks for your help so far. Here's hoping you, or somebody, has the answer.

RSeer

malte

Post by malte » Mon May 04, 2009 1:10 am

Hi,

if you don't mind showing your stack I'd be happy to take a look at the stack to see if I'd be able to fig,ure out what's going wrong.

Cheers,

Malte

SteveR

Same problem with Media 3.5 -- & no fix with revpreferen

Post by SteveR » Wed May 13, 2009 12:09 pm

For what it's worth, I'm encountering the same problem with more complex stacks in Rev Media 3.5 -- and deleting the revpreferences.rev file did not solve it.
For example, I have a custom medical office billing program that runs 13 stack files with about 20 total stacks and 165 megs of data -- and opening a menu using 3.5 can take upwards of 15 seconds. On the other hand, on my simple packing list stack I was using earlier in the day, the menus open virtually instantaneously (as do the menus in both stacks using 2.9).
I'm also hoping for a fix -- I can't see upgrading to 3.5 from 2.9 without it.

RSeer

Post by RSeer » Sat May 23, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi Malte,

Just wondering if you've had a chance to check out my stack? Its been a couple of weeks since I emailed it to you. Hopefully you got it OK.

Robin

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”