Two developers same project ?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bulur

Two developers same project ?

Post by bulur » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi,
I bought an Indy license. So now i want to work on an app project with a friend.
Is it possible to work on the same project with the same license ?
If not and if my friend buy his own Indy license, will we be able to work on the same project ?
Thank you.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Two developers same project ?

Post by richmond62 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:45 pm

You can BOTH work with the FREE [ a.k.a. 'Community' ] version: then, when you
are ready to make standalones and password protect your stacks, combine them
in the commercial version on your machine and build a standalone.

bulur

Post by bulur » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I have two question about it :

1- Does the community edition have a feature for team work ?

2- Will we have less development features in the community edition than in the Indy one ?

Regards

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi bulur,

welcome to the forum! :D
bulur wrote:1- Does the community edition have a feature for team work ?
no, unfortunately NO edition has this feature!
bulur wrote:2- Will we have less development features in the community edition than in the Indy one ?
No, they have feature parity, but only the Indy (and PRO) edition can password protect your code!
The free version falls under the GPL license (not sure, always used the Indy version), means you can sell your software,
but have to make your source code available or something like that.
I'm not an expert, so please google for GPL. 8)

Best

Klaus

bulur

Post by bulur » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Ok thanks.
So there is absolutly no way to work in team with livecode ?
I mean they sell business licenses, so they are not expecting that a company have one lonely developer :D
Maybe there is an extension or a module ?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:40 pm

bulur wrote:Ok thanks.
I'm having a hard time understand how you could read several posts providing both open source and proprietary solutions for multi-developer work and end up with that question.

Is there some specific aspect of collaborative work you've been having difficulty doing well in LC? Many of us develop in teams and I'll bet we can help provide good solutions for you once we learn what the concern is.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi.

Do you mean working on the same stack at the same time? Is there, anywhere in the world of development languages, a utility or system that allows several programmers to work on a single instance of a project (a stack)?

I do not know the answer to that question. I assume managing a collaborative process would prevent two people from working on the same handler in the same stack, but that is of little comfort. Handlers reference other handlers and/or controls on any number of cards, and any simple test run might break for any number of reasons.

If two people are working on totally separate "modules" or tasks, they can work on their own, I suppose, merging along the way as needed. I have never had help in this regard, always having been a lonely programmer. How does Apple make OSX? I assume it requires more than one software engineer. Did Dan Winkler work alone?

Craig Newman

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 pm

bulur wrote:Ok thanks.
I mean they sell business licenses, so they are not expecting that a company have one lonely developer :D
Maybe there is an extension or a module ?
There is no automatic way to synchronize scripts, you must do that yourself. Usually one person has the master copy and the other person works on parts of it. When the script is ready to merge, the second person gives it to the first, who pastes it into the master copy.

You can divide the work any way you want. You can work one handler at a time, or one stack at a time, or one card at a time. Whatever fits your stack structure will work. The important part is that there is only one master copy that always contains the latest updates.

The license you choose doesn't matter, they all work the same way.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:33 am

For collaboration you can just do what the LiveCode team does: put most code in libraries and behavior scripts, which can be script-only stacks, and use GitHub or any other VCS.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bulur

Post by bulur » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Thank you @FourthWorld for the answer, you understood my question.
I was hoping that LC have a GIT like system that allow me to doanwload and sychronise my mate code whenever i want to check out his code.
Well now we will try to find a way to use GIT without any software support.

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi

There is a way to have LiveCode projects on git. Monte Goulding has created a plugin called lcVCS that allows you to use version control with LiveCode projects. If you register on his site you can download the plugin.
http://mergext.com/mergext/

Click on the 'Download' link to see the free downloads, lcVCS is near the bottom of the list.

I use lcVCS for a fairly complex LiveCode project to do exactly what you want to do. I have my repository on bitbucket.org. I was new to git when I started it, took a while to understand how git worked but now I find using it with my LiveCode project indispensable.

I know it works in LC 6.7.x but I have not tried in 7 and I have tried in 8 a bit but got some odd things happening. Not sure if that is worked out yet with the latest DP releases.

Martin Koob
bulur wrote: I was hoping that LC have a GIT like system that allow me to doanwload and sychronise my mate code whenever i want to check out his code.
Well now we will try to find a way to use GIT without any software support.

bulur

Post by bulur » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 am

Awesome,this will solve our problem.
Thank you very much!

Anya

Post by Anya » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 am

jacque wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 pm

There is no automatic way to synchronize scripts, you must do that yourself. Usually one person has the master copy and the other person works on parts of it. When the script is ready to merge, the second person gives it to the first, who pastes it into the master copy.

You can divide the work any way you want. You can work one handler at a time, or one stack at a time, or one card at a time. Whatever fits your stack structure will work. The important part is that there is only one master copy that always contains the latest updates.

The license you choose doesn't matter, they all work the same way.
does this mean the community version has the functionality to combine two developers' work? I saw a conflicting answer that only indy and above does? I'm looking to work on two separate substacks and combine them to form one master copy.

additionally, how would I go about doing this? Is there a specific way to copy in or merge stacks to keep the hierarchy/structure stack>substack1>substack2... etc. that we've worked on, or does it just dump it all as separate stacks?

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:39 am

I'm looking to work on two separate substacks and combine them to form one master copy.
I have a horrible feeling that if you did this you would get conflicting code.

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:32 pm

jacques wrote:The license you choose doesn't matter, they all work the same way.
Wrong.
As to Indy and Community versions there are at least two differences
(besides ability to password protect script):
tsNet/internet library and camera access (cameraControl)
are not available in the community version.
shiftLock happens

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”