Suitable for platform game?

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

DaveyJJ

Suitable for platform game?

Post by DaveyJJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 am

Is RunRev Studio suitable for a simple platform game like Knytt Stories? Can it handle gravity and platforms? Nothing like Mario ... simpler like http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories ? Thoughts?

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 am

DaveyJJ,

I am not a gamer and know nothing about gravity, but I've heard you can do the desired effects with Animation Engine:
http://www.runrev.com/section/revselect ... /index.php

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

DaveyJJ

Post by DaveyJJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

In a 2D (say side-scrolling) computer game, gravity is always pulling the character or object down to the bottom of the frame with a constant force. Last time I checked AE lacked this, although I suppose I could fake it thus ...

if object isn't colliding with objectB (a floor say)
each second
pull the object down by 12 pixels
stop

JeremyR

Post by JeremyR » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:49 am

I've done platform games in both hypercard and revolution, the only problem with both is trying to get smooth scrolling implemented, as in the player will always be at the center of the screen. It hitches too much to have this work for me. The way I worked around this was scrolling a large portion of the screen once the player was close to an edge, like most platformers did before commander keen and it's dirty rectangles.

I have a platform game lying around somewhere, I have touched it in a few years. But it's made in revolution, has very basic physics (you push a box off a ledge to use it to jump onto another ledge), you collect bones (your a puppy, bones are similar to coins in sonic), avoid enemies, pass over fire hydrants for save points and reach the collar at the end of the level.
The editor is actually in-game, so you simply press 'e' while playing to jump into the editor and load/create/modify levels. The editor allows you to even setup an invisible track for objects/enemies to follow (moving platforms). Lastly demo recording/playback with one specific demo played if you stay at the titlescreen for too long. I think that's almost everything required for a fun platformer?

So yes, Revolution is capable of platformer games, gravity isn't a problem (I used invisible buttons to act as floors/ceilings) and perhaps even keeping the player in the center of the screen wouldn't be too difficult a task. The two biggest problems I have with Revolution and games is the lack of an ability to change the resolution of the screen, I've had to use a custom written vb application to perform this task and lack of hardware accelerated support (99.9% of 2d engines out there today are all HA) :( If you can get past those little quirks, then creating games in Rev is a blast :D

If you wish, I'll upload the platformer game to my website so you can have a look at the source, at least to get an idea of what's possible. I have to say I doubt the code has held up well, as I have learnt so much more about Revolution since this project :oops:

alex298

Post by alex298 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:16 am

Hi JeremyR
If you wish, I'll upload the platformer game to my website so you can have a look at the source, at least to get an idea of what's possible.
I will be much appreciated if you let me know the URL of the source code. This is a good way for me to learn.

Thanks and best regards
Alex
Nice to meet all of you.

DaveyJJ

Post by DaveyJJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:40 pm

JeremyR wrote:I've done platform games in both hypercard and revolution, the only problem with both is trying to get smooth scrolling implemented, as in the player will always be at the center of the screen. It hitches too much to have this work for me. The way I worked around this was scrolling a large portion of the screen once the player was close to an edge, like most platformers did before commander keen and it's dirty rectangles.

I have a platform game lying around somewhere, I have touched it in a few years. But it's made in revolution, has very basic physics (you push a box off a ledge to use it to jump onto another ledge), you collect bones (your a puppy, bones are similar to coins in sonic), avoid enemies, pass over fire hydrants for save points and reach the collar at the end of the level.
The editor is actually in-game, so you simply press 'e' while playing to jump into the editor and load/create/modify levels. The editor allows you to even setup an invisible track for objects/enemies to follow (moving platforms). Lastly demo recording/playback with one specific demo played if you stay at the titlescreen for too long. I think that's almost everything required for a fun platformer?

So yes, Revolution is capable of platformer games, gravity isn't a problem (I used invisible buttons to act as floors/ceilings) and perhaps even keeping the player in the center of the screen wouldn't be too difficult a task. The two biggest problems I have with Revolution and games is the lack of an ability to change the resolution of the screen, I've had to use a custom written vb application to perform this task and lack of hardware accelerated support (99.9% of 2d engines out there today are all HA) :( If you can get past those little quirks, then creating games in Rev is a blast :D

If you wish, I'll upload the platformer game to my website so you can have a look at the source, at least to get an idea of what's possible. I have to say I doubt the code has held up well, as I have learnt so much more about Revolution since this project :oops:
If you could upload it as a sample, that'd be great.

I was hoping that the new release of Rev 3.0 included some basic functions suitable to making games like collisions etc without having to buy additional plugins, but seems not.

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 pm

If you use the revolution search engine built into revolution, web data base, and type in graphics one of those web sites listed has an collision example stack, with an open script example.

JeremyR

Post by JeremyR » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 pm

In the spirit of me recently releasing the source code for my game Gladiator Trials II, I noticed I missed the reply to this thread last year. Is anyone still interested in the source code for a platformer? I'm 100% positive the source is unoptimized and messy with plenty of bugs, but it would be a starting point for those interested in this genre in Revolution.

ale870

Post by ale870 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Hello,

how did you do scrolling?
I want to make a side-view game, then I need to create a large map, and the player, while explore the environment, will be able to scroll the view. I don't want to scroll the image below, but I need something like a "view" inside the big screen (camera concept).

Thank you for your help!

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:28 am

JeremyR wrote:In the spirit of me recently releasing the source code for my game Gladiator Trials II, I noticed I missed the reply to this thread last year. Is anyone still interested in the source code for a platformer? I'm 100% positive the source is unoptimized and messy with plenty of bugs, but it would be a starting point for those interested in this genre in Revolution.
And I'm 100% positive it would be a very welcome contribution to the community.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

JeremyR

Post by JeremyR » Mon May 11, 2009 6:09 am

okay here's the source code for the game, there's alot of room for optimizing so I believe you could easily get smooth scrolling working with a few tweaks :-)

http://www.taggedsoftware.com/files/platformer_rev.zip

Enjoy!

Mark

Re: Suitable for platform game?

Post by Mark » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:49 pm

I just accidentaly ran into this thread again. I don't think I ever saw it and I tried to download it. Unfortunately, the source code is no longer available on the address provided above.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:52 am

I'm working on a tutorial for platform games with a simpler and more updated version of the code.

You will learn to work on gravity, jumping and lateral movements, blocking keys by holding them down, collisions and the general bases for creating your platform games with Livecode.
Attachments
FOTOS JUEGOS TUTORIAL LIVECODE.jpg

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:01 am

Hi faber3d,
faber3d wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:52 am
I'm working on a tutorial for platform games with a simpler and more updated version of the code.
sounds good! :-)
However instead of reviving a 12 year old thread, please create a new one when you are ready, thank you.

Best

Klaus

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 am

You will learn to work on gravity
I understand the rest; but GRAVITY is very exciting.
However instead of reviving a 12 year old thread, please create a new one when you are ready, thank you.
+++

Return to “Games”