Gladiator Trials II - RTS/Sim/RPG - OSX Update

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

JeremyR

Gladiator Trials II - RTS/Sim/RPG - OSX Update

Post by JeremyR » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Ok, I've been a fellow Rev user for a few years now, and posted about this game a few times on the list over the years. Well I'm glad to announce that I have finally finished it, while being perfectly honest I believe it's one of the most shining examples of Revolution out there for games :wink: I have my love/hate relationship with Rev, and there was specific moments during development when I just wanted to go back to C++/OpenGL, mostly due to bugs that are still unfixed and halted/slowed development and limitations (Please Rev, bring your sound engine to the modern day and stop relying on quicktime!..iGame3D already has the source-code for you... and it'ld be a dream to have graphics done via openGL to take advantage of hardware accelerated 2d). All in all it was a big effort and I hope to continue supporting the game throughout the months, at this stage I'm leaning towards my next game being done in c++ and opengl, maybe 2.9 will have that little something extra that makes me stay 8)

/Press Release
I've finally released my first game, Gladiator Trials II Feedback would be most appreciated

GTII is a tycoon/management single-player game with aspects of multiple genres including RTS, Sim and RPG. Build up your camp and hire Peasants to prepare the food or fetch water for your every hungry Gladiators, Assign them to the Weapon or Armorsmith and have them forge new equipment to assist your Gladiators in the Arena. But don't just rely on a sword and shield to win, train your Gladiators at three different buildings to raise his Strength, Intelligence or Dexterity. They're not the only ones in need of training though, having your Peasants train their speed and intelligence can make their job easier, which can mean more profit for you!

Image Image

All this happens in real time, so make your slaves are always happy and well paid. Make sure you always have enough gold when Payday comes, otherwise your camp may just become deserted. The real game starts in the Arena, choose which Gladiators to enter and from there the Sim portion is paused until you return. The arena is turn-based, each Gladiator takes his turn under your control, either moving, attacking, casting a spell or resting to regain his strength.

The fun doesn't stop there, after playing through the game's official campaign you can play around with the built-in editor to Create your own Scenarios and campaigns, or even delve into the Mod Editor to create or modify Opponents, Spells and objects.

Download the Windows Demo Today, once you've reached the end continue your adventures with the Full Version. With an introductory price of $24.95.
Last edited by JeremyR on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Hi JeremyR,

Congratulations with the release of your game! The screenshots promise quite something and I look forward to reviewing the Mac version.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Very nice looking game in those screen shots. Brings me back to the Age of Empires and Age of Empires II games.

JeremyR

Mac Version (beta)

Post by JeremyR » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:50 pm

Ok, just compiled a Mac OSX version, and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. Willing testers can get it at:

http://www.gladiatortrials2.com/files/gt2_demo.dmg

The only concern I really have is the full screen/resolution code. I'm using cscreen which was recommended several times on the mailing list. Does this work ok for everyone?

I've already prepared a better looking icon, since after uploading I found the icon size to be blurry when scaled to 128x128. But otherwise is there any problems or issues with this release? Anything that screams windows :oops: ?

Have fun now.

I should have noted it's a universal binary, and has been tested on 10.4 only, so I'm not sure if previous releases will run (any rev specific functions that would lock it to a minimum version?).

JJSonique

Post by JJSonique » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 am

I'm trying out the OS X demo, and it installed fine and looks good. I've played through the two tutorials. Your work is especially encouraging to me, as I'm going to attempt to make some games with runtime as well.

The full screen option did not work for me, however. In the drop down menu for it, it simply said 'Unavailable'. Also, could you give the links to the discussions you read about fullscreen and runtime? I'm going to be very interested in that issue myself (for both Windows and Mac).

I wouldn't worry about the icon, it looked fine to me.

JJ

JJSonique

Post by JJSonique » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:45 am

I forgot to mention I'm using an Intel Mac Book Pro, OS X 10.4.10, with resolution at 1440 x 900. I tried closing the game, setting the resolution myself to 1024 x 768 and restarting the game to see if the fullscreen option behaved any differently, but the dropdown for it still said "Unavailable".

JeremyR

Sourcecode

Post by JeremyR » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:42 pm

It's been ages since I've visited these forums or used Revolution, just wanted to pop by and see if anyone would be interested in the source code for Gladiator Trials II?

http://www.gladiatortrials2.com

The game has been on the market for almost 18 months now and has sold really well. I figure a source code release will do no harm on sales but plenty of good for any struggling Revolution users wanting to make games. I have no plans to update the game any further as my work is now onto future projects, but the game is very stable. The coding is probably a little ugly given the time span of development, but overall I believe it would be a great learning tool for anyone interested.

So put your hands up if anyone is interested in the source and I'll consider fumbling around on my hard drives to find it for you to enjoy :D

Image Image

Randy Hengst
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Randy Hengst » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi Jeremy,

That is very generous. I'd love to see the code.

randy hengst

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:03 am

Way cool upgrade, Jeremy.

If you ever want to toot your horn by explaining how you put this cool game together, you're welcome to write anything of any length you like for revJournal.com.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:01 am

I'd love to see the code too. It's always fascinating to see another's take on a project. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it. Plus the game seems really good too.

JeremyR

Post by JeremyR » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I'll begin the hunt for the source and throw it online shortly, hopefully by weeks end :-)

JeremyR

Post by JeremyR » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:40 am

ok, here's the link to the game's source code:

http://www.gladiatortrials2.com/files/g ... cecode.zip

This contains the full version source code (.rev files) and the demo resources of GTII. I've also included an early alpha build of GTIII which was unreleased, it shows off a new lighting and animation engine for the arena. It's very rough and I'm not entirely sure how well it functions, but figured it would be interesting for some.

It's free to use in any projects personal or commercial, just as long as a friendly email is dropped to alert me, I want to see what you come up with ;-)

Hope this helps any aspiring game developers working in Revolution,

Jeremy.
http://www.taggedsoftware.com

Randy Hengst

Post by Randy Hengst » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Jeremy,

I've just finished downloading the code and taking my first look. It will take me a while to get my head around it. Thanks again for your generosity.

randy hengst

JJSonique

Post by JJSonique » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Jeremy! This may get me back into trying to develop a game with Run Rev. Cheers!

JJ

jalz

Re: Gladiator Trials II - RTS/Sim/RPG - OSX Update

Post by jalz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey all
Is the source code still availble for this game. Would love to disect it and see how its been put together.

Thanks
Jalz

Return to “Games”