Creating an Alarm Clock

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

NilsH

Creating an Alarm Clock

Post by NilsH » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:46 am

Hi, for our school project we need to develop a specific Alarm Clock application. The idea is that the alarm clock sets an alarm based on (1) the person's schedule, (2) the person's morning routine & (3) the person's travel time. So if the person starts at 11:00 and his morning routine is 30 minutes and his travel time is 30 minutes (you have to be able to fill in those values), the alarm clock would (automatically) set an alarm at 10:00.

I don't know what website or programming language we can use to do this so I'm asking around for people's help. Is there anyone that has built an Alarm Clock app with LiveCode, is it possible? And if there is, would you be able to share your code? Does anyone think this specific idea can be done with LiveCode (in a few weeks)?

If LiveCode isn't very suitable for making this application, does anyone know what the best programming language is to do so?

Thanks in advance!
Nils

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Creating an Alarm Clock

Post by dunbarx » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi.

LiveCode is perfectly suitable for this project. In fact it is ideal.

The issue is that you will indeed have to either find an existing application close to what you need, or you will have to learn LC to the extent that you can write your own.

This is a teaching forum. We will mentor you forever if you decide to take on the learning task. I predict it would take three months of concerted effort to write such an app. There have been many discussions on this topic, mainly centered on suitable techniques within LC to effect related functionality. But these will only help you as you learn. They will be of little use as they stand, because they are not ready-made, but rather discussions with working examples.

That said, someone may present something fairly close to your needs, since timers are ubiquitous, and maybe you can learn just enough to tweak it to your liking.

Craig Newman

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:34 pm

Craig,
Did you really mean three months? Unless I completely misunderstand Nils request, you and I and anyone else who knows what they're doing could have this done in 3 minutes. Unless I misunderstood, this is a trivial math problem, a beep, and an answer dialog.

Nils, how about some more information, on the assignment, please. My hunch is that your instructor is planning to teach you a programming language to complete this task. Regardless of the tool/language you choose, you would have to learn the basics of that tool/language, first.

I would hope that no one would just give you the answer without making you work it out.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Mikey.
We will mentor you forever if you decide to take on the learning task. I predict it would take three months of concerted effort to write such an app.
I meant three months to learn enough LC to do it all by himself, with our help. Otherwise, and no offense, but I think ten minutes is far more realistic.

Craig

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:29 pm

OOH! A little "Name That Tune" action? "I can build that app in 2 minutes 30 seconds!" Do we have to specify keyboards and mice so nobody has an unfair advantage?

Perhaps I misunderstand what he's asking for, but I would think that one of us could mentor him enough in (name that tune) hours to get it done. Granted, his understanding of LC wouldn't be extensive, but...

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Mikey.

I think for his school project he will need a nice interface, some buttons and fields, etc.

Surely we could guide him through the process, and he would learn just a very little. Three months, though, is what I think a new user would need to be able to take on tasks of this kind and complexity mainly on their own. Not specifically this task, which would have focus and directed help.

Anyway, 2:30? Sure, it would work, but it would be ugly.

Craig

WaltBrown

Post by WaltBrown » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Nilsh.

Build the Hello World app in the Tutorials section - http://lessons.runrev.com/m/2571/l/2327 ... rld-3-ways. That should get you exploring buttons and fields and give you a starting stack. Look through some of the other tutorials to get a feel for the scripting language, and read the Dictionary entries for individual commands.
Walt Brown
Omnis traductor traditor

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”