Can't do Text to speech with LiveCodeSDK-R14

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

lodijoe

Can't do Text to speech with LiveCodeSDK-R14

Post by lodijoe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm

I am unable to do text to speech with LiveCodeSDK-R14 using LiveCode 6.6.4 with XCode 6.0.1 getting an error message of:
Could not find appropriate build of external '/Developer/LiveCode 6/I O S/LiveCodeSDK-R14/rrenarrator/binaries/rrenarrator.lcext' for Simulator-8_0
Do we need someone to update LiveCodeSDK-R14 so we can do text to speech with IOS 8?

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Can't do Text to speech with LiveCodeSDK-R14

Post by jmburnod » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi,
You get an error message. did you try ignore this ?
I remember that was the case with a version of rrNarrator and the external worked on IOS 4 with sdk R8
I never could use it after IOS 4
https://alternatic.ch

scotttyang

Post by scotttyang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:29 am

requested a native text to speech for some times. I guess it's not really a priority for some time.

Nakia

Post by Nakia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 am

I just re compiled what was in the SDK for IOS8.1 and its working on the Simulator.

email me at nakia-brewer at bigpond dot com and I will send you a drop box link
(Its 113mb so won't be able to post it here)

lodijoe

The new rrenarrator.lcext from Nakia works.

Post by lodijoe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:45 pm

I downloaded rrenarrator.lcext from Nakia's Dropbox link and I got text to speech with LiveCode 6.7 on the ios 8 simulator.
Thanks to Nakia for all of his wok and sharing.

scotttyang

Post by scotttyang » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:57 am

I would be so nice to have access to all the voices already native to iOS, eg. Spanish, english, german, chinese.....and the voices are really nice in iOS. Think of all the possibilities in Education with Text to Speech in iOS. For me in the child development, and special education, being able to tap into the native mutli-language voices of iOS would be a godsend!!!

Randy Hengst

Post by Randy Hengst » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Hello,

I’d really like to try the build of rreNarrator for iOS 8.1. I tried emailing Nakia, but the address bounced. Does anyone have an updated email address or the build?

be well,
randy

lodijoe

Post by lodijoe » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 pm

The problem is that the build of rreNarrator for iOS 8.1 in LiveCodeSDK-R14 doesn't work with LiveCode 6.7.4 or 7.0.4 which must be used to successfully upload to the App Store.

scotttyang

Post by scotttyang » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:52 am

I think there is something ironic. Livecode team has been promoting Coding to people with Autism, yet my iPad apps are geared towards kids and adults with Autism, and one of the biggest component in working with kids with autism is Speech Synthesis. I'm am still waiting for iOS Native Text-to-Speech so for the many kids with autism who aren't verbal, the iPad serves as their communication tool. So far, my wife has been doing the voice recordings. But, so much simpler and much smaller app size if we have native iOS Text-to-Speech.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:00 pm

I agree, speech is an important element in apps for autistic users. But to be fair, the campaign is for teaching coding as a job skill, and the target audience is likely on the higher end of the spectrum.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Casey Morgan

Post by Casey Morgan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:56 pm

To be fair, there are discussions going back to 2011 about the lack of as well as need for text to speech support. As someone who has spent the last two hours researching this, it is frustrating to say the least.

scotttyang

Post by scotttyang » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:40 am

Well, Mr. Kevin Miller has sent out a a survey of Feature Requests.... Maybe for those who are still waiting for Native iOS Text-to-Speech can fill out the survey and request Text-to-Speech. Imagine the availability of Spanish, German, Korean, Chinese, Japanese voices that gives audible feedback. Imagine what it can do for your iPad and iPhone and the educational market, the hands free market, etc.

survey link:
https://www.research.net/s/FRBGYF8

Scott

Return to “iOS Deployment”