Custom Property to store data in a standalone ap

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

sritcp

Re: Custom Property to store data in a standalone ap

Post by sritcp » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:41 am

The foregoing discussion raises a couple of questions in me:

So we have a splash stack, located in specialFolderPath("engine"), which loads the main stack, located in specialFolderPath("documents"), and closes itself. We can now store data as custom properties of (objects in) the main stack.

1. If we store data in the main stack, how do we make sure that this data is transferred to the replacement main stack when we update the app? Even if we could, is it not cleaner to keep the user data apart form what will be updated/replaced?

2. In the latter case, if we still wanted to save some of the information as custom properties in a stack (for the reasons given by others earlier in this thread), is it not better to create a third stack (called, say, "dataStack") which can hold the information that should persist across app updates? If we were to do this, what would be the guidelines as to what kind of data should be put into stacks and which ones to save in files?

I suspect it would be better to save media (audio and video, not sure about images) as files but keep text and numeric data in the stack? Or, since working memory is scarcer than storage memory, keep data that is frequently referred or updated in the stack and those which are large, infrequently referred, or streamed, in the form of files.

Does any of this make sense?

Regards,
Sri

P.S. An unrelated question: If the splash stack opens the main stack and then closes itself (as Newbie4 has suggested), wouldn't the program close, since the executable has exited?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:53 am

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
PS. What happened when you tried it?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

sritcp

Post by sritcp » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 pm

FourthWorld wrote:PS. What happened when you tried it?
I didn't. I didn't have a problem with Mac or even iPhone simulator. I was wondering about what will happen in the actual device - iPhone (I am not set up to try that) where things are supposed to operate differently (the program quits when you switch from it?).

Regards,
Sri

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”