Lesson: How do I read/write to files on Mobile?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

steve_nam

Lesson: How do I read/write to files on Mobile?

Post by steve_nam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:15 am

I tested the stack as per lesson How do I read/write to files on Mobile? (http://lessons.runrev.com/m/4069/l/14301) on my android phone, but the "put specialFolderPath("documents")" does NOT create the file "file:iphonetest.txt" on my phone.

I modified it as follows:
1) Set the key board
2) Create a field called "test" to inset a phone number.
3) Create a field called "testnumber" to display the number set in field "test".

But on running the stack on my phone it only displays the information as set in the properties tab contents.

How do I get the stack to create the URL ("file:iphonetest.txt") on my android device and get this file to display in the field "testnumber"?

Any assistance? I think the Lesson is not reaching its objective namely How do I read/write to files on Mobile?

Steve

SparkOut

Re: Lesson: How do I read/write to files on Mobile?

Post by SparkOut » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:58 am

The line:
put specialFolderPath("documents ")
as mentioned in the tutorial is just to display in the message box the full path to the documents folder for a visual confirmation, and will only work in the IDE.
If you

Code: Select all

set the defaultFolder to specialFolderPath("documents")
put field "test" into URL("file:testfile.txt")
put URL("file:testfile.text") into field "testnumber"
you should get the right result

steve_nam

Post by steve_nam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:31 am

Hi SparkOut,
I put "Great. Thanks for your reply, guidance and assistance" into field "forever grateful".

Steve

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:34 am

Better read the COMPLETE lesson first next time! 8)

steve_nam

Post by steve_nam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:31 pm

Klaus wrote:Better read the COMPLETE lesson first next time! 8)
I don't think the forum is meant for this type of assistance/answers! If you don't want to assist members in the forum refrain from giving sarcastic comments.

I don't appreciate it. if you are a staff member, it does not emulate the ethics and service standard of LiveCode staff.

Steve

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Klaus is one of the most (if not the most) helpful people there is. The comment may have been flippant, but not nasty.

FWIW, there is very little presence of any LiveCode staff members on the forum here. We are pretty much all a community, it's a shame to take offence with each other.

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Dixie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:19 pm

SparkOut wrote:Klaus is one of the most (if not the most) helpful people there is. The comment may have been flippant, but not nasty
SparkOut is right... and Klaus was just telling you how it is... as if you had read the thread you quoted then your question would have been answered.. :D

steve_nam

Post by steve_nam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi SparkOut,
I appreciate your view, but from my cultural perspective it was an insult. The same goes to Dixie who on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:19 pm joined the discussion without being asked or invited to comment. Is it a way of showing LiveCode superiority in the forum or what?

We all learn one way or the other and are in various stages of our development. If a member feels that others are STUPID and must respond "Better read the COMPLETE lesson first next time!" then it is best that person does not jump in unprovoked and insult the friendly request from others. The forum is there for assistance and education. I rest my case.

I still put "Great. Thanks for your reply, guidance and assistance" into field "forever grateful" to you !

Steve

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 pm

:D.........

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Klaus is so fluent in English that it isn't apparent at all that it isn't his native language. He's also one of the most helpful contributors here. However, he does use more exclamation points than most native speakers, and sometimes more capitalization too. Those of us who know him simply remove those from our interpretation, but if you are new then sometimes his comments may be misinterpreted. I can assure you he didn't mean to be snarky or offensive. He really is one of the nicest guys here.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:57 pm

jacque wrote:He really is one of the nicest guys here.
You mean anywhere.
Honestly, I hope we can all go forward with a good community spirit.

aebki

Post by aebki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi,

I had the help of Klaus many many times in this forum, as with others too like Dave, Dixie, Simon, etc...

And i think Klaus is helping us (specially the beginners as me) a lot, even if sometimes he seems to be ironic...:-)
I think he is more ironic than sarcastic!!! :-)
Anyway i never took bad his comments! It always gave me one way to think or reflect about what and how i did the things...

I profit to say thanks to all you who are giving us help in this forum! :-)

Regards

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”