Updates on some of these enhancements?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

Vanceone

Updates on some of these enhancements?

Post by Vanceone » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 pm

So I've read some of the slightly older threads here with proposed syntax changes, and it appears that at some point they were added to the engine. Maybe? Things like "This me" for behaviors (I got lost on the final decision on that syntax) and changing the dispatch command to "dispatch xxx to yyyy with zzz into tLocalResult" or something like that. But lots of these threads have died without any confirmation of whether the suggested change ever made it into the final builds. And the documentation hasn't changed either. So I guess my question is: what is the status of many of these changes that have been proposed and argued about? Has anything (or many things) from this forum made it into the stable builds?

Thanks!

Vance

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Updates on some of these enhancements?

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 pm

"this me" was added a couple versions ago, noted in the release notes for that build IIRC.

What does "dispatch xxx to yyyy with zzz into tLocalResult" do?

Discussion here is a good place for users to explore options among themselves, but ultimately it'll need to go into the issue tracking system to go forward:
http://quality.runrev.com/

If the issues you're looking for can be found there the Status field will show the current status, and often the notes in the discussion will provide more details.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Vanceone

Post by Vanceone » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:40 pm

I'm glad that "this me" was added; it's unfortunate the documentation doesn't say anything about it. Unless you memorize the release notes for each build, or go back through the history you would never know! The dispatch thing was based off of this thread. As for the issue tracking system: "This me" run as a search shows nothing.

I was just wondering about the status of some of these discussions, since they seem to die away sometimes without much more than a "yeah, it's a great idea and we might or should do XXX" but no definitive word on if things were added or not. Sometimes things like "we added tentative code in branch YYYY" but nothing about whether it survived into final build status.

If something has been added, like in this thread about ignoreMouseEvents, then maybe a brief final note like "Added in 6.7 final" and locking the thread might be appropriate? As it is, that thread notes that it was added in a development branch, but nothing about its final disposition.

I hope I'm not being too presumptuous, however. :)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:27 am

Vanceone wrote:I'm glad that "this me" was added; it's unfortunate the documentation doesn't say anything about it.
Yes, often the engine team will implement items that come from their own internal directives rather than as suggestions from users in the RQCC. IIRC "this me" was added by the lead engineer, Mark Waddingham.

Both "this" and "me" are documented in the Dictionary, and those who favored "this me" would suggest the pair of tokens is consistent with the use of each.

Just the same. I've added a request to have "this me" noted explicitly in the Dictionary entries for those tokens:
http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14327
Unless you memorize the release notes for each build, or go back through the history you would never know!
When you read the Release Notes you'll find additions and modifications to the Dictionary included there. In general they've been doing a pretty good job of updating the Dictionary with new and modified tokens, but if you find something missing just file a report and it'll usually be added in the next build.
I was just wondering about the status of some of these discussions, since they seem to die away sometimes without much more than a "yeah, it's a great idea and we might or should do XXX" but no definitive word on if things were added or not. Sometimes things like "we added tentative code in branch YYYY" but nothing about whether it survived into final build status.
True, many times it's fun to explore new language directions but the conversation either doesn't yield a consensus on the proposed syntax, or no one finds it sufficiently interesting to log it in the RQCC.

Of course logging it in the RQCC is no guarantee it'll be implemented. If an idea has merit and fits in well with other language/feature development, often it will. But less critical proposals may take some time to be implemented, if at all, at least if the expectation is that the addition will be done by the core dev team at RunRev.

Many new features and enhancements were added by members of the community, so if there's something outstanding that would be a long-term interest for RunRev you could have it sooner by writing it yourself.
If something has been added, like in this thread about ignoreMouseEvents, then maybe a brief final note like "Added in 6.7 final" and locking the thread might be appropriate? As it is, that thread notes that it was added in a development branch, but nothing about its final disposition.
If they wrote that it was added, that may have been sufficient for them. New items in the development branch may not appear in any current RC release (since those are in feature-lockdown), but will likely appear in the next feature release.

If real-time monitoring of the code base is of interest, Trevor put together a nice tutorial for using SourceTree for that:
http://www.bluemangolearning.com/liveco ... -livecode/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Engine Contributors”