Stack corrupted (second in 1month)

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

raber102

Stack corrupted (second in 1month)

Post by raber102 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Everyone,

im trying out quite a bit lately with LiveCode (hard to believe, but its actually a (very small) part of my Psychology Bachelor :D)
Anyways, since I am a former software developer I had quite some fun with it.

"Had" is to be said, because today I tried to open a stack that were running very smooth yesterday and get

"There was a problem opening that stack:
stack is corrupted, check for ~ backup file"

Of course there is no backup file. I cannot explain this in any ways, since the stack was running like a charm yesterday and there were no errors when saving whatsoever.

This is the second time I encounter this error (in about 1 month of developing...).

I run LiveCode v.7 on a 64bit win7 desktop.
The first time I got this error was on my Asus T100 (Win 8.1 Tablet) and I thought it might be due to the specs of the tablet.
I didnt care a lot for the first corrupted stack because it was just for me learning and trying stuff etc.

However, this time I really put some effort in the development and it's really bothering me. (small space shooter, nearly finished and was meant to be my perfomance record in the course + I wanted to share it with the community)

Is there any way to recover the stack? And I mean not only get the script out of it but all the cards + graphics too.
Maybe try opening it in an other version of LiveCode?
And are there known issues that cause these problem so I can avoid that in future?

I'll have to say that I am pretty much done with LiveCode if I cant recover my work. Should have made more backups myself for sure but still this sucks...

Best regards

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Stack corrupted (second in 1month)

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Are you certain you have only one version of LiveCode installed?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

raber102

Post by raber102 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Yes, I started coding in LiveCode just about a month ago and have v7 stable on both my PCs with no changes to the environment so far.
I tried to open the stack today with v6.7 and v6.71 without any success ("Stack build in newer version" message)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 pm

I asked about multiple versions because v6.x can't open files created with v7.x and sometimes appears to be corruption when simply re-opening in v7 will fix it, but it seems you've accounted for that.

If the stack won't open in v7 I'd send it to support AT runrev.com and see what they can do with it. True file corruption is very rare in LiveCode, and whenever the team can find a recipe for it they address it immediately. Hopefully they'll be able to restore this stack for you, and even better be able to identify how it went south so it won't happen again.

Please keep up posted with what you learn from them.
Richard Gaskin

raber102

Post by raber102 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks for your reply, I email'd the stack to runrev support.
However, I think chances are slim that it will get processed before next year.

So I guess I will rebuild the stack asa I find new motivation for it. Should be done in a few hours...

I'll keep this thread updated when I got news from runrev

kind regards

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 pm

You may be surprised, they have been trying to track down this bug for a while and your stack may be just what they need to identify the cause. And since they know the file format, they may be able to fix it pretty quickly. But you're smart to start rebuilding it anyway just in case.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

raber102

Post by raber102 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:59 am

Hey guys,

got my stack fixed by runrev already, really fast support :D

They told me to use the latest version of LiveCode (currently 7.0.1 RC4) in future to prevent this.
I'm gonna stick with a strict backup plan too in future ;)

best regards

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Glad that worked out. Thanks for the update.
Richard Gaskin

klvs2001

Stack will not open at all - Whirligig of death spins

Post by klvs2001 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:03 pm

I have persistent challenges with a stack that never seems to open. As an example, I worked on it yesterday and the same stack will not open today. However, a copy of the stack will open. I was using a cloud sync service for version control of the stack and thought perhaps that the Cloud service (Mozy) was the culprit. Yesterday, I used only my local disk. Today the same thing happened. I am using 7.1.1 on 64 bit Win 7 US English.
I am trying to use LiveCode to create a client for a REST services based system. As one can guess, I am more than a little frustrated that I have had to re-create work.
Since I am using the Community Edition will the team in Edinburgh help me figure out where I am missing the boat? Frankly, I am just about to toss this. At first I thought it might be related to me switching back and forth between LC 7 and LC 8. Now I don't think that is the problem.
Thank for the vent!

Thomas

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Don't use LC 8, it is still not stable, the releases are preview versions and it is under active development. There are still bugs. Also, the most recent pre-release of 8 has changed the way the Save command works, and we've been warned to only work on copies and keep good backups. For the smoothest experience, I'd use only LC 7.1.1 for now, which has fixed some Windows issues.

The team will investigate all bugs regardless of what license you're using. If using only LC 7.1.1 doesn't fix the problem, please submit a report. They'd very much want to know about it.

klvs2001

Post by klvs2001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Jacqueline,

Thank you for the reply. I am using 7.1.1 exclusively now and I used Notepad ++ to "Cut and Paste" the scripts from the stack which would not open.

So BOTTOM LINE is stick to ONE version of the software!

Regards,

Thomas

geofhaigh

Post by geofhaigh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:13 pm

I am running LC 7.1 on Windows 7. I get stack corruption every 3-4 weeks, but normally I can recover from the ~file.

Today I found that a stack saved without complaint, but then LC would not open it. LC doesn't report an error, it just refuses to open that stack. There is no ~file, so I am guessing that LC wasn't aware that it had corrupted the stack on save.

Thankfully, I keep a daily backup of all stack files, so I have only(?) lost a day's work - maybe less is I can find and scavenge all of the changed scripts from the corrupted stack file.

But with LC 7.1 on Windows being so flakey, I strongly recommend:
- Saving your stacks every few minutes
- Backing your changed stacks at least once a day.

GeofHaigh

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:50 pm

@GeofHaigh: did you send your stack to Support? Corruptions are rare in LC, and the team would like to keep it that way. Allowing them to examine seemingly corrupted stacks can be very helpful.
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:04 pm

If there was no error and no backup file, it's possible that the stack is not corrupted but rather isn't visible. When LC can't open a stack it always throws an error.

If LC doesn't say it can't open the stack, put this into the message box:

Code: Select all

put there is a stack "name of stack" 
If you get "true" then it's invisible, offscreen, or something else.

Also, LC is up to 7.1.4 now so I'd recommend updating if you haven't already.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”