Need to find a description for the IDE stacks/files model

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

Kay Tate

Need to find a description for the IDE stacks/files model

Post by Kay Tate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 am

Is there a good description somewhere of the model the IDE uses for opening a stack multiple times or starting duplicate stacks with the same name or loading them into memory more than once? I sometimes get a message back from the script editor when I am trying to edit a script that there is "already a stack by that name." I am trying NOT to create additional copies of things. I have lost hours of work apparently from duplicate stacks in this process already.

Also, sometimes Revolution looks like it tries to launch twice -- two splash screens, etc. I am on a POWER Mac with OS X.

Thanks.

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 am

Hi Kay,

It drives me nuts too. For years I gave up to figure out what Rev does in this regards. I decided Rev just doesnt like Stacks with the same name. While this is well documented,(the namespace and all that), the documents dont tell me why, when opening a stack with the same name sometimes (rarely) the cancel button works, sometimes the purge button works and most of the time nothing works and sends me into an endless loop of clicking cancel/purge. So I decide to kill Rev at that point. It taught me to be careful whith the stack names e.g. in different versions, just remember to also change the stackname. I then close Rev and reopen it. And I got into the habit of saving projects often mainly because of stuff like this.

I look at it as part of Rev's personality :) I just respect Rev's singularities and we get along well.

Not an explanation, just to tell you that you are not the only one who is pulling his hair about this.
regards
bernd

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Bernd and Kay,

Feel free to send me (a) stack(s) that consistently cause(s) this problem.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

bn

Post by bn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Mark,
create a new stack, save it as e.g. testStack.rev, leaving 'untitled 1', now in the inspector change the name of the stack to 'testStack' and save again. Rev warns you that a stack of that name already exists with only an OK button. I click the button and it saves dutifully. But what is the point of warning me without any other option except OK.
This is not the big mess with not beeing able to get out of purge/cancel, agreed. But still confusing. Trying to reproduce the endless purge/cancel I do not succed, may be they changed somethin in 3.0?
If I stumble across it I will post it again.
Thanks for your offer to look into this
regards
Bernd

bn

Post by bn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Mark,

I send you a private message with a link to stacks that send me into eternal dialog boxes.

cheers

Bernd

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 am

Bernd- I follow your recipe and all works fine. Is there something else interfering with your save process?

bn

Post by bn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Mark W,

It seems that when I rename the stack in the inspector to the name of the file then if I hit the enter key to finish the renaming and then do a command s the dialog appears, when I dont hit the enter key after renaming in the inspector and just do a command s the dialog does not appear. I tried this three times either way and it was reproducible. Could you or anybody else try this to see if it is as described? I hit the enter key because then the inspector updates and shows the new stack name.
regards
Bernd

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Ah - got it now. It's pressing enter after renaming that's causing this. I always hit tab to move the cursor off the name field to update the properties, and that way you don't see the error. But yes, it's definitely a bug in the IDE, and the latest betas do the same. If I press enter after finishing the name I can get the error to occur. Doesn't matter whether I use glx2's property editor or the raw IDE's version.

bn

Post by bn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Mark W,
thanks for confirming this. I stopped trying to make sense of this and without this thread I would have lived with the warning. It is probably not a big deal to fix this.

May be you might want to bugzilla this, I would, but but I am not on the beta list, so I could not say anything about the current betas.
regards
Bernd

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I'll be happy to file the bug report on this. I just mentioned the latest betas by way of saying that the bug hasn't been fixed even in the latest builds. The fact that we can get it to happen in the release version means that it's nothing new that broke since the 3.0 release. But I'll file this later on today.

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”