How many programming language do you use regularly?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Poll ended at Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:42 pm

One, xTalk all the way
10%
Two
20%
Three or more
70%

Total votes: 10

beix

Post by beix » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Beside of xTalk, what other language do you master?
Which language do you prefer if you program in two or more language regularly?

--

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi,

Most projects involve communication with another system, which makes it necessary for me to use Revolution together with other programming tools and languages. I have now experience with over a dozen of different languages and I have no idea what number I would get if I counted every language I ever used.

Which language I prefer, depends on the project. For a very small utility, I might use AppleScript or VBScript. For a web-based project I prefer PHP. If a client requests it, I'm happy to use SuperCard. For most projects, I prefer to stick to Revolution.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:09 pm

It comes down to what is it a client wants, Then what is the most effective way to get it done. Just thinking about the current time I got to say I use 15 different ones now. And I could even count all the ones I have used since the late 1970's.

It would be great if one language could do everything I wanted, but that is not the case.

stevenp

Post by stevenp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:52 pm

I am in the process of learning Revolution but I use several different languages with on and off regularity (depends on the current job which is C# at the moment). These are the main ones: Assembly\C\C++\C#\VB 6\VB.NET\JavaScript\VBScript\Aurora\EBasic.

Edit to Add: I also develop in Java using Eclipse and WebSphere. Just finished a job using that around 6 months ago using WebSphere, JSF. etc.
Last edited by stevenp on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janschenkel
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Janschenkel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 am

My triad consists of Revolution, Progress ABL and Java - mixing and matching them for the projects at hand.

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

teks

Post by teks » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 am

PHP, Javascript, (+ the compulsory XHTML and CSS), and Ruby (with Ruby being my favourite by far). Occasionally have to dabble into C and Objective-C. And now, learning Revolution.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Revolution, Python, Tcl, Lotusscript (& Notes formula language), Java, SQL, Javascript, Lua (probably in that order of frequency).

Return to “Talking LiveCode”