PROJECT: RevOnline triage

This forum is a working group for community contributors to the LiveCode IDE included in the main LiveCode distribution.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: PROJECT: RevOnline triage

Post by FourthWorld » Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 pm

It may be that the Web portal is a subset of the contents available through the RevOnline stack, or that no one has yet taken advantage of the "Code" option. But in RevOnline, the four categories are "All", "Stacks", "Eternals", and "Code".
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:14 am

Cool... For the first time in months I can at least browse around in RevOnline, and it doesn't hang. I'm using 6.6.2 on Mac OS X 10.9.3.
I couldn't login, retrieve my password, or create a new account with a different email address. I tried the latter two, but never received a reply.
But, hey, it's progress.

Richard: Now I see why I was confused about the "code" category. It contains stacks, as well, and I was expecting to see just see the actual code in the RevOnline window. It does seem a bit excessive, that way.
Charles Buchwald
xTalk coding since 1990
Developer of lcResTool and lcMover and other developer tools
https://charlesbuchwald.com

TerryL

Post by TerryL » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Win7 (32), LC v6.6.2stable, no delete account, no change password, no upload, yes download.

Thanks Richard for trying to help solve this long-standing problem with revOnline. RunRev is aware, but they've been "looking into it" for years. Then the web version appeared with no upload capability. They're focused elsewhere.

Is RevOnline Worth Fixing?
1) If RunRev intends to deprecate the revOnline stack and go with the web version only, is it a waste of time to try to fix revOnline?
2) If RunRev won't add upload to the web version, would they allow anyone else to do it?
3) RunRev can upload to revOnline. I suggest requesting someone at RunRev volunteer to upload emailed stacks until they fix. If declined, request a forum volunteer to upload submitted stacks on the volunteer's account (compressed folder with: stack, screenshot, text file with stack name, author, description, tags). This solves the problem on the short-term and everyone's happy.

If RevOnline Is Fixable, How To Apply Fix?
1)) If someone outside RunRev can find the problem with revOnline, is it just a matter of clicking a button in a FixIt stack to modify revOnline's code for the current LiveCode session?

What Are The Problems?
1) Existing accounts can't be deleted. A dialog indicates "There was an error deleting your account: cgierror,database_error". Server problem?
2) New accounts can't be created. The request appears to complete, but no email with new acct password ever appears. Server problem?
3) No stack upload for most people, but some CAN upload. This is too important a clue! It isn't a platform, OS, or LC version problem.
a) Is it WHEN they signed up for an account? Unknown. It seems those who CAN upload signed up many years ago. Is this another clue? Has anyone signed up recently that CAN upload? Can't test it because of problem #2.
b) Is it HOW they signed up for an account? Unknown.

When I first signed up for an account, and received my password by email, I logged on successfully and I think I was presented with a dialog to enter first and last name, email address...the account information. I elected NOT to enter anything, and went straight to the upload button. I input all required, the bottom right progress bar chugged away indicating uploading. But nothing was sent. Subsequent upload attempts are rejected, something like "This stack has already been uploaded." Now when I click "My Account" btn, the lower right progress bar shows "Retrieving user details..." then always hangs.

I remembered that the User Manual had a section about revOnline, and one paragraph caught my attention, p29-30:
"Upon logging in and viewing your profile for the first time you will be presented with your profile view in edit mode where you have the opportunity to enter information about into the highlighted fields and change your profile picture using the change profile picture control as shown below...
When you have finished editing your profile you can hit the “save changes” button to submit your information, A MINIMUM OF A FIRST AND LAST NAME MUST BE ENTERED BEFORE YOU CAN SAVE. You can also choose to display your email or not and change your password to one of your choosing
using the “Change password” control. You can reach this profile at any time by clicking on the “My Account” control in the login controls which will both display your profile and display all your uploads in the search list. To exit this view simply remove the user filter or hit the “My Account” control again."

Since I never entered my first or last name in the account area, am I blocked from uploading? When I click the "My Account" btn, the first and last name labels and fields are missing as well as the "save changes" button. Using msg box I've forced them to visible, entered account info, clicked the "save changes" btn...nothing happens. The revOnline's stack script is very complex and beyond my skill-set to tinker.

I've sent a screenshot of revOnline, "my account" view to RunRev, their response was to delete the account (can't delete) or sign up for a new account (must use different email address, never receive email with new password). Did everyone who can upload fill in their first and last names, and everyone who cannot upload skip that step like me? Richard, I'll email my account password so you can log in and see for yourself if that would help. Terry
Beginner Lab (LiveCode tutorial) and StarterKit (my public stacks)
https://tlittle72.neocities.org/info.html

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks, Terry. That's a very useful overview of the state of things with RevOnline.

I spoke with Ben about it at our last CM meeting, and he says he's having a team member look into the server-side issues soon (they may have already begun work on that now). That should help with the emails and other account setup options to keep RevOnline a useful resource, in addition to whatever bug fixes in the client software we can find community members to help address.

While there is interest in expanding the Web mirror of RevOnline's content, RO is primarily valuable because it lets us share tools and libraries within the context of use, within the IDE. So no matter what happens with any Web mirror, I believe nothing can be as useful for us as an IDE components for these resources.
Richard Gaskin

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

WaltBrown

Post by WaltBrown » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 pm

I'm an old fart then, I've never had a problem logging in or using RevOnline.

That I can remember...
Walt Brown
Omnis traductor traditor

TerryL

Post by TerryL » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:24 pm

I found a minor revOnline stack problem. In upload mode, the file selector btn "Browse" only lists .rev files, not .livecode too.

The script of control 42, btn "Browse", line 3:
answer file "select stack to upload" with type "revolution stack|rev|REV"

Could be changed to:
answer file "Select stack to upload." with type "LiveCode Stack|rev,livecode|" --replacement, btn "Browse", line 3

My test showed it worked, even though I got an error dialog indicating I couldn't save changes.

Richard, could you request RunRev check this topic occasionally. Terry

Edit: Didn't know the filter form was deprecated. Update made.
Last edited by TerryL on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beginner Lab (LiveCode tutorial) and StarterKit (my public stacks)
https://tlittle72.neocities.org/info.html

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Terry,
TerryL wrote:Could be changed to:
answer file "Select stack to upload." with filter "LiveCode Stack,*.rev;*.livecode" --replacement, btn "Browse", line 3
nope, that syntax is Windows Only! 8)

Better use:
answer file "select stack to upload" with type "revolution stack|rev,livecode,mc|"
## Will also show Livecode and MetaCard stacks!
## Just leave out the third parameter, CREATOR Types are slowly ceasing on OS X :D

Best

Klaus

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 am

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:09 pm

As I noted earlier, a team member at RunRev is working on the backend. I'll drop a note here when that work is completed.
Richard Gaskin

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:29 pm

At least one year before more than 40 revOnline='User samples'-stacks were deleted and the "public upload" was closed. I don't know the reason for that but the occasion was the "sync" with the LC-Share website (the one with the 'static' staff pick 1 out of 1).
This project gave some hope that at least the "public upload" could be reanimated, no matter where.
But not even a definition of "share" is given until now and who is allowed to upload (under which agreement).

To avoid further frustration I suggest to silently bury the project.
And write this on its tombstone? (by Shakespeare)

[Edit. Corrected some typos]
Last edited by [-hh] on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:46 pm

One suggestion is to have a standard platform test/reporting tool in LC. So that when you have a problem you can report things like: platform, build used, mobile device etc without having to work it out before emailing/posting. You could simply run the system test tool and let it report the basic stuff with a text description of your problem.

If it was 'your choice' it could also include a copy of your stack to be emailed. This would be one way to standardise how faults are reported and fixed.

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi,
I would like to clarify what you are talking about? Perhaps about a variant of step 3 (see the first post)?
I'm talking about step 1:
FourthWorld wrote: 1. Make RevOnline work for everyone
This is an obvious first step, since of course if it can't be used it has no value at all.
This isn't done, since more than a year.
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:54 pm

The Widgets interface is requiring a substantial rewrite of RevOnline. With LC 8 slated for DP release within a couple months, it turns out that spending too much time on the current RevOnline would be a step backwards, and will coordinate with the core dev team for next steps.
Richard Gaskin

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:43 am

This is a new strategy (more of RunRev than of you) to give up previously defined N steps that were defined to be done as milestones, the 'never ending step method'.

Define a new step N+1, say you are going to make this step N+1. Then, obviously, making steps 1 to N would be at least one step backwards.

Anyway, thanks for this clear answer.
shiftLock happens

Return to “IDE Contributors”