Extension Manager Hangs

LiveCode Builder is a language for extending LiveCode's capabilities, creating new object types as Widgets, and libraries that access lower-level APIs in OSes, applications, and DLLs.

Moderators: LCMark, LCfraser

planix
Livecode Opensource Backer

Extension Manager Hangs

Post by planix » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 am

Hey,

Using LC CE 8.2.0-dp-2 Build 14501. On Windows 10.

I am trying to figure out how LCB works. Seems like a fantastic idea. But, I just can't get any aspect of it to work.

Tried loading some of the community lce's. And kept getting the same problem.

I am following the 'guides'. Write or download lcb. Compile lcb. Install. Close down LC and restart. Nothing in Libraries. (If a widget) nothing in Widgets. Then used Extension Manager to find the lce. Try loading that. Hangs.

So, I tried the simplest lcb- "hello world". Compiled...OK. Install(from LCB)... Nothing apparent. Shut down and restart LC. No library. Test doesn't work. Used Extension Manager to load the library lce. The attached screenshot shows what happens. Every time. With any and all lce files. Widgets or libraries. The loading hangs.

Happens with this version of LC CE and 9+ that I also tried. Also, wierdly, the process seems to be writing a new Extension folder to livecode each time I use it.

I give up. Is this a known issue? Am I just stupid? Why is such a good idea so difficult to implement?
Attachments
Hanging extensions.png
PLANIX
"Knowing anything is better than knowing nothing. But knowing that nothing ain't anything, why that's just plain nirvana."

planix

Re: Extension Manager Hangs

Post by planix » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:22 am

Hi All,

Here's an update.

I got to thinking about the weird stuff about the My Livecode/Extensions getting multiple /extensions added.

No idea why.

But, decided to copy the built folder over into the Runrev/Livecode Community 8xx/Extensions.

And it worked. Just the hello world example. But it worked as expected.

Will now try with other downloaded lcb/lce files.
PLANIX
"Knowing anything is better than knowing nothing. But knowing that nothing ain't anything, why that's just plain nirvana."

planix

Post by planix » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:45 am

From the previous, I figured maybe there was some 'oddness' in the LC preferences. Had a look at where it was pointing to the My Livecode/Extensions. Even though I haven't changed it, it was pointed at one of the build folders I had used earlier.

So, I reset my preferences. Pointed it to the My Livecode/Extensions and tried out the various lce's that I had strewn around from previous attempts.

I just took the built folder and copied it into the My Livecode/Extensions folder. If the name wasn't in the community.livecode.<developername>.<extname> format, I changed it into that.

So far, so good. The lce's, both widgets and libraries, are loadable. And they seem to work.

Now I am happy. Not stupid after all. Clearly, some odd effect of the compile in LCB (my guess) messed around with the Extensions path. I shall be watching that very closely.

;-) I'm glad I decided to get back in to LC after all.

Now I just need to start playing around.

Thanks for watching... :-)
PLANIX

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:23 am

I think it is safe to summarily dismiss thinking your stupid, you solved your own question in less than an hour and a half. Sometimes takes me days to figure out some of the things I come across :D

planix

Post by planix » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:36 am

Thanks.

I hope it might help someone else.

Actually I think the unusual folder additions are coming from [hh]-widgets-un-installer. I started the download/install on one of the lcb/e files (colorpicker) and a couple of other folders have appeared in My Livecode/Extensions folder.

Seems to have hung in the download too. No idea whether it's still downloading as HH doesn't seem to have included a progress monitor.

I'll keep posting my (mis)adventures with LCB as they occure :shock:
PLANIX

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Sounds like a good feature request, and I know he's here lots :D

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by [-hh] » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:55 am

Hi planix,

the problem is currently that LC 9-dp11 automatically recompiles every widget and introduced that some stuff should first go into the "downloading" folder in the extensions folder. That's all experimental and not documented.

So, for exploring, better use LC 8 only.

If you use [hh]-widgets-un-installer you should only use the latest version directly from "Sample stacks", not a downloaded version, because the widgets formats change and you need different binaries for different LC versions.
And better use only single downloads else LC may hang with installing. I had also problems here when installing "all" (because my server was too fast for the changed LC installation process and canceled after it has to wait too long).

A progress monitor is not possible because the download uses the LC installation procedure -- there are no callbacks available from that.

If there are problems with one of my widgets, simply unistall all directly with [hh]-widgets-un-installer from "Sample Stacks" and reinstall what you want, one after the other (currently LC 9 is not supported).

I have all my widgets now such that they install with LC 8 (8.1.5 and later) and are simply not present in LC 9.

H.
shiftLock happens

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:46 pm

That is curious about the no call backs, I wonder how Lc itself knows that the download completed or that the installation finished. Weird.

Return to “LiveCode Builder”