load URL in LCB

LiveCode Builder is a language for extending LiveCode's capabilities, creating new object types as Widgets, and libraries that access lower-level APIs in OSes, applications, and DLLs.

Moderators: LCMark, LCfraser

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

load URL in LCB

Post by [-hh] » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Using LCS from LCB is fine but not really when fetching data from a server.

Is there a way to use foreign handlers in LC Builder for fetching textURLS and binaryURLs?
I have seen there is already a module com.livecode.url on github but I can't get it working here.
shiftLock happens

livecodeali
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: load URL in LCB

Post by livecodeali » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am

That module was only for local file and binfile urls, but we never ended up hooking it up and including it - mainly because all the file handling was tied to the engine at that point and LCB (in general) needs to be able to run without the core engine. It would probably be possible now that we have a low-level system file API in libfoundation.

The situation would be even worse for fetching data from a server, unfortunately - as ultimately get url and friends are implemented in the libUrl script library and there is no actual engine implementation on non-server desktop platforms.

Once we have code blob support it might be possible to move something like tsNet to an lcb module but that's probably a little way off.

In short, no I'm afraid it is not possible yet.

Return to “LiveCode Builder”