Sockets in Mobile

LiveCode Builder is a language for extending LiveCode's capabilities, creating new object types as Widgets, and libraries that access lower-level APIs in OSes, applications, and DLLs.

Moderators: LCMark, LCfraser

Vanceone

Sockets in Mobile

Post by Vanceone » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 pm

So I have a question: when are sockets on mobile going to be supported? Will it require an extension?

I know about Monte's MergSocket; but that is iOS only so kind of pointless if we want to use sockets on Android.

The Roadmap here says that networking is "one half of LiveCode 8"; but it seems like nothing on networking has been done. I note there is a topic or two in the engine contributors forum which says that work on sockets on mobile has been done and there's only a few things left to do, I think, to open it up. But all of that seems to have been done back in 2013.

This seems like a huge feature that has just..... not worked for years. I'm investigating Elixir or Erlang for a server stack, and WebSocket technology; but that doesn't work without sockets in the first place. Basically, any mobile app can call a URL and wait for a response; but right now there's no way short of sending a notification via the OS provider for the server to initiate sending data back to the mobile app (Or some sort of polling mechanism from the mobile app). I suppose I could bundle a web server in my mobile app, but that's overkill.

Or have I missed something completely basic?

Mjhants

Re: Sockets in Mobile

Post by Mjhants » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:58 pm

Would like to know the answer to this as well!

Mark

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Wed May 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm also looking forward to sockets with my goal of controlling a server stack on my desktop from stack/app running on Android. Hope we see something soon (8.0DP3? 8.0DP4?)

Also, is there any documentation or, better yet, examples of wrapping foreign code libraries with LCB? Even if there is only support for C libraries so far, it would be great for users to be able to start looking into it and I'm know there are more then a few useful libraries written in C.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Simon » Sat May 30, 2015 3:08 pm

There is sockets for Android;
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24126
I've never tried it.
That with mergSocket give you both devices.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 pm

I don't know why this isn't bigger news, but :
New features in 7.1dp1:
"integrated support for socket on Android and iOS"

KUDOS TO THE LIVECODE TEAM! :)
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “LiveCode Builder”