How does a datagrid achieve almost unlimited rows?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Klaus

Re: How does a datagrid achieve almost unlimited rows?

Post by Klaus » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:23 pm

FYI:
Here is a comparison of Datagrid <-> PolyGrid in a LC blog https://livecode.com/datagrid-vs-polygrid-head-to-head/

stam

Post by stam » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:23 pm

Simon Knight wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:21 pm
Unfortunately your last demo stack does not display any images in the polylist. The data is being set but there are no items set. Given I have never looked at the polylist before I'm failing to get it to work.
definitely works for me...
I did have one weird hiccup - on one try nothing worked. I quite LC, restarted, hit the reset button for the PL and then it worked fine...

EDIT: just double-check you have PolyList loaded in your toolbar (not PolyGrid...)
Last edited by stam on Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stam

Post by stam » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:29 pm

Klaus wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:23 pm
FYI:
Here is a comparison of Datagrid <-> PolyGrid in a LC blog https://livecode.com/datagrid-vs-polygrid-head-to-head/
Yeh I've seen that - but it's optimistic. PG cuts some corners so that setting stuff exactly as you want can take MUCH longer. DG is easier because you set up stuff exactly as in the IDE.

For example: setting up coloured text is weird - you need to prefix the text with #RGB color#, eg for red text:

Code: Select all

#255,0,0#Error message text here
basically all these new plugins/externals suffer with an unforgivable lack of documentation which means you end up with a ton of trial and error.
So the boast that it saves you 20 mins is, well, cobblers....

It is nice though - it's fast and it's fully encapsulated. But for more complex setups it's a headache...

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Something odd happening here. In version 10 DP 4 the stack loads with no errors but it does nothing.

Trying with version 9.6.8 throws this error :
Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 18.28.44.png
Error message posted LC v9.6.8
I take it that it is a path issue given I have no drive D:
best wishes
Skids

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:43 pm

Klaus wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:23 pm
FYI:
Thanks for the link, its amazing how a non-programmer can build that list, I doubt I can do it.

As Stam writes
all these new plugins/externals suffer with an unforgivable lack of documentation
At least with the datagrid its possible to view demos by Trevor and others but there seems to be very little about polygrids and polylists. Also these forum are strangely quiet on the subject.
best wishes
Skids

stam

Post by stam » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:45 pm

Simon Knight wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:33 pm
Something odd happening here. In version 10 DP 4 the stack loads with no errors but it does nothing.

Trying with version 9.6.8 throws this error :
Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 18.28.44.png

I take it that it is a path issue given I have no drive D:
I'm running this in 9.6.10 - maybe try that or 10 DP6

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:48 pm

stam wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:45 pm
I'm running this in 9.6.10 - maybe try that
Who knew? The auto check for updates is no longer working. Manual download underway.
best wishes
Skids

stam

Post by stam » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:53 pm

Simon Knight wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:48 pm
stam wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:45 pm
I'm running this in 9.6.10 - maybe try that
Who knew? The auto check for updates is no longer working. Manual download underway.
Also make sure you have latest version of externals - updates are even more silent. There is no change log, let alone no publication of any update.
You literally have to keep checking your account page to see if a new version is out - but what changes that brings is a massive unknowable unknown.

This, along with the near complete absence of documentation (there are some blog posts, but they show a specific use-case without enough generalised teaching to apply to any scenario, and there is the built in documentation in the Dictionary - calling that 'laconic' would be a compliment) is frankly unforgivable given that these are paid-for products.

Many have complained about the lack of documentation for the responsive-layout external which is perhaps the most impenetrable of these. Not a peep from LC other than vague agreement that documentation could be improved on...

PS: I got these as part of the summer mega bundle, so for me these appear in my account under Thirdparty > LiveCode Enhancements (yours may be different if you purchased individual externals instead). The latest version of LiveCode enhancements was published in August, version 1.0.32...

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:14 pm

PS: I got these as part of the summer mega bundle, so for me these appear in my account under Thirdparty > LiveCode Enhancements (yours may be different if you purchased individual externals instead). The latest version of LiveCode enhancements was published in August, version 1.0.32...

Thanks, I've downloaded the latest version of the mega bundle - now all I have to do is work out how to uninstall and the install the contents.

However, its time for tea first!
best wishes
Skids

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:49 pm

Well that was interesting : the installer fails under LC version 9 but worked under version 10.

Happy to report that Stam's demo stack now works albeit with some errors when it does not like my image files.
best wishes
Skids

Return to “Talking LiveCode”