Livecode Share, is it me but......

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

Livecode Share, is it me but......

Post by Simon Knight » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:51 pm

I have just attempted to access Livecode Share https://livecodeshare.runrev.com/
Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 12.11.26.png
Logo
I'm have a medium speed internet connection and Livecode Share crawls. Searches take for ever and fail to return the searched for item and clicking on the list headers seems to result in "Forbidden" errors.

I have tried both the web version and the version that is accessible from the Livecode start page with the latter being even slower.

From my experience I would describe it as not fit for purpose and that it is sufficiently poor to put newcomers off Livecode. It is certainly not a platform for teaching, learning, experimentation or collaboration at least not here in North Lincolnshire.

So is lightning fast on your machine?

Simon
best wishes
Skids

stam

Re: Livecode Share, is it me but......

Post by stam » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:40 pm

yeah... that's not a new issue. It's sloooooooooowwwwww...... (the LC website is slow as well, but this is on a different level :( )

LiveCodeShare is like LC's unwanted ginger lovechild...

I have to agree, they really should do something about this... It's not pleasant to use and it's not a great advert for LC.
Not just the speed but enabling and soliciting user feedback, making it easier to read (the font is really quite small), being able to add more pics, easier for authors to add stuff (a *lot* of these stacks could do with a brief instruction/tutorial which needs to be separate from the blurb about the stack), and all sorts of web design issues going on there...

It's actually quicker to use Sample Stacks in the IDE (liveCodeShare is just a web interface to this).

S.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:35 pm

A central repository of add-ons is essential for any dev tool, critically so for any tool marketed as "low code", since that refers to being able to tap into a healthy ecosystem of prefab scripts you don't need to reinvent.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:46 pm

Agreed but this isn't quite the same - unless you mean that LiveCodeShare will be replaced with such as central repository?
The concept of LiveCodeShare is a great one, but the current state of it is fairly terrible and really not a good look for LiveCode...

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:48 pm

The current state of a lot of things round these parts seems 'a bit sluggish'.

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:04 pm

A central repository of add-ons is essential for any dev tool, critically so for any tool marketed as "low code", since that refers to being able to tap into a healthy ecosystem of prefab scripts you don't need to reinvent.
I agree! Unfortunately we don't have such a central repository. Livecode Share fails to meet it's own strap line which is a pity as a working platform would be really useful.

For example, I attempted to use Livecode Share to find the latest version of Bernd's ModTableField but drew a blank and gave up. The searches are so slow, its like stepping back in time when I was using 2400 baud rate modem over a telephone line: welcome to the early 1990s. There are probably some useful stacks on the site but its a struggle to discover them, meaning that its likely the wheel gets re-invented time and again.

I may write a bug report because I'm sure it has a negative effect on sales and it certainly annoyed me ;-)

S
best wishes
Skids

bn

Post by bn » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:26 pm

Simon Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:04 pm
For example, I attempted to use Livecode Share to find the latest version of Bernd's ModTableField but drew a blank and gave up.
Simon,
I did not put modTableField up on LivecodeShare. I wanted to support it directly.
I remember your experiment with modTableField (I think you also fixed your garage at that time :))

I can send modTableField latest version + documentation to you if you send me your current email address. Mine did not change.

Or you could extract it from "TinyDictionary" (a Livecode dictionary with a small footprint) which is on LivecodeShare. ModTableField is in a fairly recent version at the heart of it.
https://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/ ... Dictionary

Kind regards
Bernd

PS: 2400 baud. It is more 300 baud where you could hear the beeps through the accoustic coupler. I swear I heard beeps when accessing LivecodeShare tonight. Lovely.

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:10 am

Hi Bernd,

I'll send you an email and or a private message with my email which is also unchanged.

Unfortunately the garage conversion, which was going to be an exercise / photographic studio for ME has been occupied by my 102 year old mother in law for the past two years. Grrrr!!

Getting back to livecode I'm about to post a question about field margins which I suspect you may know the answer/s to.

best wishes
Simon
best wishes
Skids

Return to “Talking LiveCode”