Ask dialog for Standalone

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

physicsclassroom

Ask dialog for Standalone

Post by physicsclassroom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:53 pm

Several of my apps - build with LC7 - malfunctioned when Apple Mojave came out. The issue pertained to graphics. They became black rectangles the size of the graphic itself. It was easily fixed by rebuilding in LC 9.0.1. A different issue arose in the process. The ask dialog does not work and no error is thrown in the stand-alone (it does work in the IDE).

In the process of addressing this issue, I observed two things.
1) In Standalone Settings, if I select "Search for required inclusions when saving the standalone ..." the Ask dialog does not work in the standalone.
2) If I select "Select inclusions for the standalone application." I can include the answer dialog among the options and it works but the graphics are still black rectangles.

While it may be possible to find the inclusion that prevents the graphics from being black rectangles, it seems that LC should be able to recognize the need for the Ask dialog inclusion when I default to allowing LC to do the search for required inclusions. The fact that my ask commands are working when I include the Ask Dialog but not working when LC is left to look for then seems to be a bug.

I've noticed that others have reported oddities with the Ask Dialog but none seem to be related to the Search for required inclusions options...? Anyone have ideas on this?

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Ask dialog for Standalone

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi.

I have reverted to always explicitly selecting my inclusions.

But the way you frame the problem, I would send this immediately to QCC.

https://quality.livecode.com

Craig Newman

physicsclassroom

Post by physicsclassroom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks Craig.

Any ideas as to what inclusions are being auto-added by LiveCode that make by graphics "work"? I need to fix one of these two problems.

physicsclassroom

Post by physicsclassroom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Just experimenting. Had a hunch that maybe LC wasn't finding my ask command in my code. My app has many stacks; the ask command is not used in very man of them. So in the preOpenStack script of my my main stack, I included

Code: Select all

put "111" into noticeAskMe
   if noticeAskMe = "888" then
      ask "Could you please include me?"
   end if
...and when saved as the standalone, the ask dialog was working as expected. But would this be considered a bug?

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:27 pm

physicsclassroom wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 pm
But would this be considered a bug?
Well, I would consider it a bug, however you may want to wait till someone with more experience in Lc + OSX chimes in.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”