Photo recognition

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

EddieLee

Photo recognition

Post by EddieLee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 am

Hi, I'm currently building an android application whereby when the user takes a picture of an apple, my application will tell the user that it is an apple. Do I have to use external API and how do I integrate the API into my application? Any help will be appreciated
Eddie :D

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Photo recognition

Post by jacque » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Google worked for years on this and only recently released Google Lens. I don't know if there's an API for it, but you'd definitely need one. Recognition relies on their massive database of images.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:24 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm
Google worked for years on this...
Well, Google, and practically every government in the world and a healthy amount of other private industries :wink:

BTW, they still don't have it down pat. Aside from an api to target, your also going to have to have a healthy dataset of images to compare against, some of which are linked in that article.

Aside from all of that, some of the information on this page may be of some help. Look for the section "Specific programs and projects to do for fun ..." near the bottom, some of the topics there are -
  • Animal Wizard - It knows every animal. If you stump it, it remembers the animal for next time.
  • Artificial Intelligence - Create your own Chatbot, Virtual Assistant, Siri © or Google Now ©.
  • Data/BigData - How popular is your name? How many people in the US have the same name?
  • DigitalMagic - Add people/remove people from photographs, change backgrounds with code (almost done...)

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi, I'm currently building an android application whereby when the user takes a picture of an apple, my application will tell the user that it is an apple. Do I have to use external API and how do I integrate the API into my application?

An app that ALWAYS tells the user that it is an apple does exactly what you want.

So you have to be more specific.
What should the app do if it is not a picture of an apple? Should it say it is not an apple or should it say it is <another object> it recognises?
shiftLock happens

EddieLee

Post by EddieLee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi,

If the image is not an apple but other objects, the app should be able to tell the user what it is. Meaning that the app should tell the user what is the object in the photo

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi Eddie,
EddieLee wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm
If the image is not an apple but other objects, the app should be able to tell the user what it is. Meaning that the app should tell the user what is the object in the photo
I'm sure we all have figured this out! :D

Best

Klaus

EddieLee

Post by EddieLee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi Klaus,

Is Google vision the way to achieve what I want? Or do I have to use an external application like Google lens?

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 pm

shiftLock happens

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Here is a explanatory link about Google Vision
https://cloud.google.com/vision/?hl=en