Never Mind! Fixed! Start Player 1 Freezes LC

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Never Mind! Fixed! Start Player 1 Freezes LC

Post by jacque » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:02 pm

The real mystery is how Klaus figured out who you were. :) If it helps, I didn't think you were a troll, the message was too LC specific. But the moderators here have been so overwhelmed with spammers that they've become skeptical by default. Understandable.

HC had soundchannels which allowed multiple sounds simultaneously, each using a different instrument voice. Some folks transcribed whole orchestral pieces with amazing results. LC also has soundchannels but only for mobile. Desktops are out of luck.

Addendum: I am not sensitive to how people spell my name, you should see what they do to it. Some variations are rather amusing.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:02 pm
If it helps, I didn't think you were a troll, the message was too LC specific. But the moderators here have been so overwhelmed with spammers that they've become skeptical by default. Understandable.
Klaus kills more spam here than anyone else, but even the subset I see is indeed nearly overwhelming.

Bots have become much smarter in recent years, creating accounts that gain acceptability by scouring phrases and sentences in use within the target forum community to craft new posts. It may seem like a lot of work, but such scripts are easy to obtain on the black market and once deployed can do reasonably well: if they hit 100,000 forums and are accepted at only 1% of those, that's 1,000 new venues for posting malware links, potentially harvesting thousands of new machines every month to add to their rentable botnets. All it costs the spammer is the bitcoin cost of the script, and a couple bucks in monthly fees for a VPN to mask origin.

All that said, I do like the simple rubric NullSet offered:
How do I prove I am not a spammer? What if I don't spam? Would that prove it?
:)

That's a fair rule, and in a tidy world that would be enough. But you'd be surprised how many posts we see that are quite cleverly assembled. We try to give the benefit of doubt, but if we come across one whose wording happens to match a lot of spam patterns we've seen that day, we may be a little trigger happy. Moderators are no more perfect than the exploitable OSes which are the reason spam exists.

This one worked out, and going forward I'm sure Klaus and I and the other mods will try to pose the question of human authenticity more gently.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 pm

This one worked out, and going forward I'm sure Klaus and I and the other mods will try to pose the question of human authenticity more gently.
I wonder if an innocuous question would work. Something a bot couldn't respond to, like "What version of LC are you using?"
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:50 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 pm
I wonder if an innocuous question would work. Something a bot couldn't respond to, like "What version of LC are you using?"
Yes, that would be an excellent gentler question, and sufficient to weed out most bots and even a majority of human malware agents.

At a certain point it's definitely a case of diminishing returns, esp. given the other countermeasures in place here, like link permission only granted after a certain number of posts.

I'll admit I'm lazier than some mods, or at least more willing to give the benefit of doubt. At least monthly, sometimes weekly, I'll get a report one of our regulars has flagged as potentially nefarious and I'll not take any action at all if I can justify seeing it as a grey area, watching the thread to see how it turns out. Sometimes I'm wrong and I wind up deleting a bad thread, many times the OP never returns so no further action is needed, either for spam countermeasures or LiveCode support.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

NullSet

Post by NullSet » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:37 am

jacque wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Klaus kills more spam here than anyone else, but even the subset I see is indeed nearly overwhelming.
I sympathize.

Tim

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:28 pm

You may need to correct that attribution, or Jacque will be forever credited with FourthWorld's literary genius :wink:
FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 pm

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Thu May 09, 2019 12:02 am

Hey @NullSet, if you're still interested in doing Music stuff with LC on Mac then have a look at my stuff on GitHub.
So far I've made 4 MIDI Music play related LiveCode Builder extensions for Apple (macOS, but should work on iOS too though I have not tested that)
https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/LCB_macAVMidiPlayer
And here's a demo of that one that has the LCB extension embedded, and can load it on the fly, can use the Mac OS built in sound bank (or load your own), and has a modified version of UDI's HyperCard 'ABC' Notation to MIDI LC lib included:
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/8 ... layer-Demo
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Talking LiveCode”