Standalone build problems: answer dialog already in memory

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rolandw

Standalone build problems: answer dialog already in memory

Post by rolandw » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:15 pm

I am having problems building a standalone app. This is an old stack that I have brought forward from Runrev 2.x and am now using 3.5 build 870 running on a Mac (10.5.7). Whenever I attempt to build the standalone I get a dialog:

"A stack "answer" dialog in file mystack.rev is already in memory. The Revolution UI does not distinguish stacks which have identical names, so editing these stack files while both are in memory could result in data loss."

I have the same problem producing standalone apps for any platform.

I have found other discussion centred around protected stacks. I do not have any protection on these stacks.

If I create a new stack it works fine!

Is there a fix?

TIA

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 am

Hi Roland,

yes, Rev is extremly (way too!) picky with this!

You could try to:
1. Open these stack(s) anyway, despite the scary dialog.
2. Open the "Application Browser" and delete these substacks from your stack(s)
3. Save and close your stack(s)
4. Now you should be able to create a standalone.

Hope that helps.

Best from germany

Klaus

rolandw

Post by rolandw » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for that suggestion but there is no substack "answer dialog" in my project so there is nothing I can remove via the application browser. The "answer dialog" has to refer to the inclusions. If I manually select the inclusions and untick "answer dialog" I get all sorts of errors!

I've not had this error before 3.5 so perhaps only this edition is picky!

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Roland,

oh, sorry, thought that a present duplicate of the dialog was the troublemaker.
No other idea then :-/

Mag
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Standalone build problems: answer dialog already in memo

Post by Mag » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 am

7 years after this post, I'm having the same problem except that instead of Revolution it reads LiveCode...
A stack "answer" dialog in file <stack path> is already in memory. The LiveCode UI does not distinguish stacks which have identical names, so editing these stack files while both are in memory could result in data loss."
LiveCode Indy 8.1.0

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi.

Just got a reply from Panos that might be relevant. Check out: "Still cannot make standalone in v8" in the beginners pane. Then try yours in 8.1.1 RC.

Craig Newman

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Thank you Craig!

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere, I think I am going to have to re-hone my searching skills for this forum as this was the closest I found.
rolandw wrote:... I get a dialog:
"A stack "answer" dialog in file mystack.rev is already in memory. The Revolution UI does not distinguish stacks which have identical names, so editing these stack files while both are in memory could result in data loss."
The reason I get this message is that I am opening stacks (guessing here) that were formerly part of the IDE that the IDE still uses, in this case, playing around with the older Mc IDE files. My question is two fold:
.. 1.) is there a way to open these files without receiving those messages? if not, are the "scary messages" going to cream my installation of Lc? (not the biggest problem I've ever had, btw, just curious really).
.. 2.) I understand Lc is written in itself, if it isn't a top secret, how do they work around this kind of thing?

I know I am probably missing something that is very easy but not readily apparent here due to being such a newb :oops: I scanned the pdf, but if it is in there I must have missed it. If its easier to point a section out in it, I'll be happy to put on my dunce cap and go read it again :)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 pm

MC handles stack inclusions differently from LC. In MC, before building a standalone you first copy any needed substacks into your stackfile with the Resource Mover tool. In LC, included substacks are included only at build time.

There's a subtle oddity in the engine which allows it to handle multiple stacks with the same name in memory, but under certain conditions it may not always be clear which is being worked on.

This was resolved in the LC IDE by simply disallowing stacks with the same name from being loaded into memory at all. Personally I feel the brute-force solution is a bit much, but the engine work needed to resolve the addressing issue is not a high priority now that this prohibition is in place.

There is a nice benefit to LC's approach as far as built-time inclusion goes: since the IDE already has those dialogs they don't really need to become part of your stack file before built time, and leaving that copying up to the Standalone Builder means that your included substacks will always be the latest versions.

To migrate stacks from MC to LC, you'll want to use MC's Resource Mover to first remove things like the answer and ask dialogs. Once those are removed the stack file should open well in MC.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Thank you Richard, that is an enlightening response, but I still haven't gotten the Mc ide working, I am working on the Mc stacks in Lc 6.x.

I'm not sure if I maybe worded part of the question poorly or not, let me try again.

After I open Lc 6, I first turn off the Messages (otherwise, Mc tries to start). I assume this is the way to do it, if not feel free to elaborate!
.. I open the Mc file, which looks like it opens all other cards and stacks that I intend to look at (great so far).
.. I then get the message from Lc that "stack x in file x is already in memory, scary warning, etc". I am guessing that is because the Mc files either use or reference some of the active files in the current Lc IDE?

The reason for that guess is that no other files are open when I start this process, if I'm way off the mark, let me know for sure :D

Or, if your answer did take all that into account, maybe I didn't get it, I'll sure re-read it a few more times to see if I can parse it better. The information in it is valuable regardless, so it is much appreciated !

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm

It sounds like you're trying to run the MC IDE within LC, yes?

If so, don't do that. There be dragons!

MC is designed to run on a bare engine, and isn't compatible with the LC IDE stacks (or rather, as you've found, vice versa).

This plugin will help you get a fresh MC install set up in no time:
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/5 ... Setup-2-02

I had to use it a couple years ago to get some parts from a very old project, and it took only minutes to set up and get going.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Not actually trying to 'run' the Mc ide from within Lc, just using Lc to look at the code in the stacks since I've failed miserably to get Mc to run correctly, but based on that 2nd statement of yours, maybe I need to change my name to 'Sir George' or 'BeoWolf' or some such :lol:

The file you listed is indeed the very file I used for all attempts so far at installing the IDE, it sets it up beautifully, Jacque did great work on it. Per my understanding of the directions, I opened that file in Lc 6.x, using that as the engine as well, and it downloaded and installed everything very well, there are never errors on the install, all files show up in the directory as far as I can ascertain.

This part was posted in the activation error thread as well, but I really feel like I shouldn't be polluting that thread with this stuff, it is more appropriate here since the error is what I receive looking at the stack files, but if there be dragons in it like you say, maybe I should move it to the Mc part of the forum after all :D

In any case, it is impossible for me to use Mc at this point to look at the Mc files, or even see the error, as the debuger *does* come up, but blanks itself *when I mouse over it*. I figured using Lc was safe enough, after stopping all messages, but I know I could be wrong, which was why I wanted to find out how bad that error could turn out to be.

*corrected*

Return to “Talking LiveCode”