[SOLVED] A ton of stacks got attached to my one stack - how do I get rid of them all?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

karmacomposer

[SOLVED] A ton of stacks got attached to my one stack - how do I get rid of them all?

Post by karmacomposer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Not sure what I did, but now tons and tons of stacks are associated with my stack I am working on!

How do I get rid of them all except the one stack and card I am working on???

I feel like such a noob!

Mike
Last edited by karmacomposer on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: A ton of stacks got attached to my one stack - how do I get rid of them all?

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi.

"Associated with"? Are they all in the stack file of your mainStack?

Are they substacks? In other words, if you ask for the "subStacks" of your mainStack. do you get a long list?

Craig Newman

karmacomposer

Re: A ton of stacks got attached to my one stack - how do I get rid of them all?

Post by karmacomposer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 pm

If I go to the stack inspector and click the dropdown for which stack is the main stack, there is a near never ending list of stacks.

I have NO IDEA where they came from.

Mike

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 am

Hmmm.

You are saying that there are many mainStacks in that dropDown? Can you send a screenshot of the top menuItems?

Craig
Last edited by dunbarx on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 am

You understand that there can be only one mainStack in any stack file, though possibly many substacks.

So if you have lots of mainstacks in that list, that would be very interesting indeed.

Craig

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 am

Do the names largely begin with "rev"?
Have you got the show LiveCode stacks in IDE menu option ticked?
Or whatever the wording is, but LC IDE is written in LC, so the IDE stacks are all accessible, but typically hidden from the lists and menus, so as to leave your view with only your project. They can be set to show up though.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:12 am

A pic of what SparkOut's talking about -
Selection_003.png
Show IDE stacks in lists...

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm not in my office yet, so I cannot show a screenshot, but when I get there I will grab one.

Yes. A lot of them have 'rev' in it somewhere.

Mike

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Cant wait to see the contents of the dropdown. Regardless of whether or not these stacks are preceded by "rev", how could they be considered mainstacks of, er, the mainstack?

Craig

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm

There is no way to show the entire contents of the dropdown, but here's a screenshot:

There are hundreds of stacks in the list.

Any way to list them all for a screenshot?

Mike

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 pm

I started this project with a new stack.

When I saved it and then loaded it back in the following day, animation engine popped up - that's when I noticed all the main stacks in the main stack drop down.

I need them all gone so when I compile, it's only the stack(s) in the project.

I hope that makes sense.

I made sure 'Show IDE Stacks in List' was unchecked. Still shows hundreds of main stacks in the drop down.

Mike

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Project browser:

I also am showing other main stacks in the small drop down list.

The name of the main stack is pdaform. That is the only stack that should be in the project.

Why all those other ones are there I have no idea. They do not show up in the project browser, just the main stacks drop down.

Mike

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I think you may have found a bug that started apparently in the 8.x series. Prior to that, unless you had 'show ide in lists' checked, you didn't see the ide stacks in that box. I did confirm that regardless of the setting (on linux, anyway) you do see them in 8.1.4 up if you leave the property inspector open and have had show ide stacks in list set.

Once you make sure that is unchecked in the view menu, close out the property inspector, then open it again, and you should see only your stacks in the drop down.
Selection_003.png

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Just to clarify, that list is composed of all the available stacks that can be used to attach your working stack to. Its purpose is to allow you to attach your stack to another one, it doesn't mean that the list is associated with your stack. An attached stack is called a substack. It sounds like you don't have any of those yet.

What you are seeing are all the stacks in the IDE, which of course you don't want your stack to be attached to. For your purposes right now you can ignore that menu button, it's just an inactive list that does nothing unless you choose something from it. As mentioned, the IDE stacks aren't supposed to show up there, so make sure you haven't chosen to show them in lists (see the View menu.) And avoid choosing anything from it for now.

This will make more sense if you read up on the difference between mainstacks and substacks in the user guide.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Talking LiveCode”