Display of Errors in LC 9 IDE

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

Display of Errors in LC 9 IDE

Post by Simon Knight » Tue May 29, 2018 10:50 am

I posting here because I can't find a board for "stupid questions" so here goes :

I am running Livecode 9.0.0 commercial on an Apple mac. At present when an error is thrown in the IDE a stack named revErrorDisplay opens and displays a list of errors along with a button that opens the code editor at the script line causing the problem. In earlier versions of LC the error is displayed directly in the script editor with stack revErrorDisplay remaining out of site. I have searched in vain for a setting that will restore the display of errors the way I expect.

Any ideas or is this just the way it is?
best wishes
Skids

Simon Knight

Re: Display of Errors in LC 9 IDE

Post by Simon Knight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:17 am

Odd that no one else appears to have seen this or cares to comment. Should someone else experience the same problem Panos spotted that the issue only seems to occur with the project browser is closed. See bug report 21318 for more detail .https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21318
best wishes
Skids

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:58 pm

That is odd. I myself don't use the later Lc versions with any consistency, but I know plenty of others do. Maybe they all run with the PB open?

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I do like your bug report. Bad language usually solves the problem for me, but in this case its failure allowed Panos to locate the bug. Good job.

BTW, the error dialog is how it always used to work, so when it appeared again I didn't really notice. But now that you mention it, yeah.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks Jacque - I thought that I must be the only coder who does not open the project browser! I do now and I have to admit its quite useful.
best wishes
Skids

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 pm

I use the Application Browser (aka "application oveview") which was the original before the PB was introduced. I find its layout fits my work flow better, though I admit it doesn't have all the features the PB has. You can find it in the Plugins menu as revApplicationOverview.

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks for the tip - yet another feature that I did not know about ;-)
best wishes
Skids

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 am

Jacques,

The original seems so much more useful. For me the fact that it displays the names of the objects and that clicking on a line selects that object in the IDE are killer features. Thanks for pointing it out to me I though that it was lost for ever.
best wishes
Skids

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Double-clicking a card in the overview navigates to it, and right clicking any line gives you a menu with several options. It's a quick way to open an inspector or a script whether you're on that card or not. I also appreciate the way it displays the layer number because I often need to know the card number. You can also select what columns it displays but I'm not at the computer right now so I can't recall what you need to right-click on, but I think it's the header.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”