Linux SSL errors

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

adventuresofgreg

Linux SSL errors

Post by adventuresofgreg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi: I have a standalone that uses the SSL library (revsecurity.so file)

I'm trying to put "https://something.." into a field.

The native LC on my Mac works, the Mac standalone works, but I get this error when running the Linux standalone:

a bunch of stuff, then "... unable to get local issuer certificate"

The standalone was generated with LC 5.5.1, and yes it was generated with internet, SSL and encryption libraries

I tried copying a newer revsecurity.so (from 9.0.0) file, but got error "cannot load SSL library", so newer .so files are not backward compatible with old versions of LC standalones.

Any Ideas?

bogs

Re: Linux SSL errors

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:19 am

I actually dev on linux, and I'm having a problem recreating this issue. Unfortunately, I have no copy of 5.x to work from, so I can only say from 6.x to 8.x I didn't have a problem. I'll delve back to 3.x and 2.x, but I'm not sure https was even a thing when those were out.

Is the reason your using 5.5 due to wanting to keep your source closed? Just curious, not a required answer.

*Edit - I get some odd results.
3.x - nothing from https://, but works fine with http://.
6.0.1 - works fine with https://
6.5.1 - hit or miss with https://
6.7.x and up - works fine either way.

No way to test it in 5.x, sorry.
Last edited by bogs on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adventuresofgreg

Post by adventuresofgreg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Thank you. I bet the early version is the reason I'm having trouble. I'll try 6 and see.

Reason I'm still on 5.5 is due to speed. It's way faster than anything subsequent - but 6 may still be fast enough.

Greg

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Well, again this only pertains to 'nixes, but what I found is that in all round performance, all the 6.x series performs much the same, with similar file size output, etc. I tend to float around 6.5.2 for most things I do, but for someone trying to get the most out of 6.x probably 6.7.9 or .11 might be a better choice.

6.0.1 tends to give me text issues, but it does work. 6.7.x tends to rearrange palettes on opening from where I left them, but everything else seems to work ok. 6.5.2 was, of course, one of the ones I played with here that did not do https addresses very well :roll: but ymmv.

Good luck whichever road you go :)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Older versions of LiveCode were compiled with older versions of security libraries. I would not recommend using a version that many years old in an app that needs security feature.

LiveCode v9 rc1 was released yesterday. I would try that and see if your situation improves.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm

I find it odd that all of these are older versions, but some can handle the 's' and some can't, although I am pretty sure the security library itself is the same in some instances, with in the 6.x series certainly.

I think the main reason he didn't jump to 9.x is the speed issue he mentioned earlier -
adventuresofgreg wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 pm
Reason I'm still on 5.5 is due to speed. It's way faster than anything subsequent - but 6 may still be fast enough.
I have to say, unless I'm using one of the newer engines in Mc, they do seem to plod along after 7.x by comparison.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:05 pm

9 is faster that 8, 8 is much faster than 7. It may be that some things will never be as fast as 6, because of Unicode and better error checking. In some areas it may be on par. A few may even be faster.

V7 was the first Unicode version, not a good comparison for speed.

V9 is well worth trying for many reasons. If something critical to an app is found to be prohibitively slow, let's look at that algorithm. I'll bet we can speed it up, possibly faster than before.

The scope of improvements in v9 are hard to overstate. I don't think I've ever seen a version with both as many enhancements and new features. And some of those enhancements relate to performance.
Richard Gaskin

adventuresofgreg

Post by adventuresofgreg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi:

9.0.0 stanalones (Linux, OSX or windows) don't work because the revdb.so or dbmysql.so is bad

8.1.0 standalones (Linux, OSX or windows) db's DO work and https also works

I think there is an upgrade from 9.0.0 (DP6) that I should download to test, as I'm sure the SA externals issue has been resolved by now.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:05 pm
9 is faster that 8, 8 is much faster than 7. It may be that some things will never be as fast as 6, because of Unicode and better error checking. In some areas it may be on par. A few may even be faster.
Um, I think the speed we are talking about is two different kinds of speed. I think you are referring to the speed of the engine to execute, which I will gladly concede since I have no information to compare against it.

The speed I am talking about, and that I *think / thought* (could be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time) Greg was referring to, was the speed of working in the newer IDEs, of which a quick browse through these very forums show all kinds of posts referring to. Dictionary, SE, PB, how long it takes to drag a number of controls, etc. are all very *very* much slower to perform while creating the actual program.

The actual program itself, once created into a standalone may be blazing fast, and as I said I will gladly concede that one too you. Huge, no doubt, but I'm very sure quite quick.

On your recommendation of it's benefits though, and since I haven't loaded any of the 9.x series in a while, I will certainly take a poke around rc1 to see what it is like to work in again.

*Edit - will also take a look at the things Greg mentioned above :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Greg, I apologize, apparently I didn't take into account when I said I would look at those failures you mentioned that I would not even get past 3 lines of code in 9.x, unfortunately that release seems unusable on my system.

I did give it an honest 6 attempts, Richard, but it is just unworkable here.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:34 am

What bug report number can I follow to help resolve that?
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 am

Me or Greg? I haven't submitted a bug report yet, I did submit a post to the bug triage part of the forum to see if anyone else is actually experiencing what I saw, along with the stack. If someone else reproduces it, I'll submit the things I found as a bug.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks for submitting that to the triage thread. Do you have a link for that thread? Let's see if we can get it resolved.

Edit: found it:
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5d5dd3790c
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:56 am

My bad, I should have posted the link in the previous post. I blame it on concern for my wife and being harried by two cats at the same time as posting :mrgreen:

Return to “Talking LiveCode”