Tablet user view style - Any way to get Better looking ? P/L

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

teriibi

Re: Tablet user view style - Any way to get Better looking ? P/L

Post by teriibi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Tks a lot Paul for all Tips $ the very good analyze.
True I m more dedicated to learning by the practice than by the Book - or learn more from the Practical example "in the Book" than by the long definition :lol: ..

*I thought about the prefexid color that could possibly have disabled the color switch & even tried to "remove" the fixed color, but couldnt find a "reset" button. :shock: guess I{d have to recreate a new Rectangle.

I ll try improoving Doc reading..along with Practice !

PBH
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by PBH » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm sure you would enjoy the lessons, some of them are very good practical examples. 👍

To remove a colour already applied to a control, go to the Property Inspector, Colors tab and Right Click on the backgroundColor box, so instead of choosing a colour this will bring up a menu to reset the colour to it's default, in this case it will change the colour to be "Empty"! if that makes sense... :D

OR

In the Message Box type:

Code: Select all

set the backgroundColor of graphic "RectB" to "empty"
Now setting the backgtoundColor of group "MainBody" will affect all graphics within the group.

Paul

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 pm

teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:41 pm
True I m more dedicated to learning by the practice than by the Book
That's how most learning happens. But at least you're wise enough to recognize that.

Study is helpful to provide direction to practice. And at 665 pages, the User Guide provides a lot to study.

But you can't learn to play basketball, or play piano, or program computers, from a book. As an old friend likes to say, at some point you need to roll up your sleeves and cut some code.

I must say I've found your enthusiasm here rather infectious. Reading your perky posts perks me up as well, makes me even more excited about the things I'm learning.

I'm glad you've joined these forums. You make some excellent contributions here.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Well, I m glad if as a non-coder i could help in "something"... :wink:

I ve been looking for such a Tool as LC, tested a bunch of them but nothing is equivalent to LC in many ways, some might do parts in an easier way -but producing that multiplaform code at once is almost a Dream for anyone.
I don´t think I can ever find another IDE with that simplicity & that can rivals to it on that point.

I´m just a bit sad that there is not "much much" more "dumb" proof examples along with the clear explanations one can find from the Docs.

In several Blog Ive read ppl wondering about Why isnt LC use much more to teach coding in schools ?!
(No idea how many schools do use it indeed :shock: )
...but I would say - on my own thoughts - maybe because its lacking of a bunch of examples, although there are many already. :mrgreen:

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:36 pm

teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 pm
I´m just a bit sad that there is not "much much" more "dumb" proof examples along with the clear explanations one can find from the Docs.
Have you already worked through the 78 tutorials included in the Resource Center in the install?

Admittedly, there should ideally be some good way to draw more attention to them, because they're very useful.

In the IDE, see Help -> Resources, or click Resources in the main toolbar.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 pm

teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 pm
[Biting my tongue]~cough~2.2.1~cough~
On the other side of that, though, there is Max's excellent wiki, which is fully searchable here.

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm

aLL 78, Probably not, could not quantify how much of it.
I dont say they arent examples in it. Its just that from what I want to use in my App, I cant always find one that specificaly relates to that..sometime dealing with an issue but not the one Im looking for, or not enuff of it. 8)

YES, Max (?) Fandom wikia thats my 1rst source of search indeed, its always opened in my browser.
I did download 60 videos of Mycode Academy too, very helpfull ! :idea:

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm

This set of stacks was created for new users with no previous experience:
http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

It explains the basic concepts you need to understand, provides examples, and a transcript of each meeting where the topic was discussed. If you go through them in order, at least the first few stacks, you will have a better understanding of critical concepts like the message hierarchy, object inheritance, scripting basics, etc.

This set of stacks was created many years ago as a series of online conferences. They are old now but the information is still relevant. I think they are easier than reading the LC tutorials because they guide you through the concepts in order and each stack builds on the information presented earlier.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Talking LiveCode”