Tablet user view style - Any way to get Better looking ? P/L

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: Tablet user view style - Any way to get Better looking ? P/L

Post by bogs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Ok, I am stumped, what was your question?Image

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 am

1- How does the (latest version available of the) Datagrid behave on a Fullscreen stack ?
2- How does a simple chart behave ?

...I mean, do they both resize nicely too ?
:)

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:42 am

Ah. I am afraid for answers to those questions you'll have to wait for someone that actually uses the newer IDEs :?

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:22 pm

...I m on V9 DP11, isnt it kind of "newest" IDE ?

Btw, testing Script for Fullscreen stack is very tricky. anytime I write st wrong in my code, debugger not only opens but the whole LC system freezes... so I end up pressing : Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart LC and try again...
:shock: :shock:

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:50 pm

teriibi wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:22 pm
...I m on V9 DP11, isnt it kind of "newest" IDE ?
Version 9 is in development, currently released as "Developer Preview" ("DP"). Releasing DPs plays a key role in allowing developers to try out new features as well as confirm that changes continue to support the specific needs of their applications. If you find something that isn't working as expected let's discuss it here, and we can confirm it's a bug please submit a bug report to:
http://quality.livecode.com/
Btw, testing Script for Fullscreen stack is very tricky. anytime I write st wrong in my code, debugger not only opens but the whole LC system freezes... so I end up pressing : Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart LC and try again...
:shock: :shock:
FullScreenMode is a very specific mode only occasionally needed by mobile apps, and very rarely needed on the desktop. I haven't explored fullScreenMode on Windows in a while, but on Linux it has a behavior that sounds somewhat similar to what you describe, but whether it's a bug or not will depend on knowing more about your situation.

On Linux, when I fullscreen a stack it takes over the full screen, which sounds more or less like what I asked for, except that when I first got what I asked for I discovered I'd provided no way to return to a non-fullscreen mode, so I used a force-quit as an expedient out. :)

Then I added a button on the stack that was to go fullscreen, which includes a statement to turn off fullscreen. Now I find that when in fullscreen mode, the button I provided to return from that is accessible and works well.

If you try the same and get the same result, at least we'll know that the engine isn't failing per se. At that point we can discuss possible keyboard shortcuts or maybe other modifications to the IDE which would make recovering from fullscreenmode easier for the newcomer.

And of course if the LiveCode Windows engine is indeed exhibiting a bug, we'll want to submit that ASAP to better ensure the issue can be addressed before we get to Release Candidate.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Ok, I ll list any things that maybe buggy..

Where can I get all detailed info about those commands :
set the width of...
set the left of ...
set the bottom of...
Are they all listed in any Doc page ?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Each of those has an entry in the Dictionary, accessed from either the main toolbar or from the Help menu.

IIRC there's also a section in the User Guide on layout scripting, but I'm not at a computer right now so I can't look it up.
Richard Gaskin

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 pm

--Ok, on W10
... here is a small modifcation that will freeze the Layout editing..and the whole system.
Music keeps on playing but nothing more can be opened or close.

Adding a value like : " -100"
at the end of a script line :

Code: Select all

set the loc of widget  1 of me to the loc of me
- works

set the loc of widget  1 of me to the loc of me - 100
- Freeze All.
I understand that its prob. a syntax I should NOT write and LC turns into so endless loop, but the Dictionary doesnt offer much details on the other side so I m mostly doing some blind test here.

no way to get out of the problem without Login out/Reconnecting the session.

is that some bug ?
Attachments
freeze when adding -100  after to me.png

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:06 am

Hi,
Does anyone knows whats the property to make the (orange) Body section fits well in between top Header and Footer ?

I did set a top margin but as a result the "main body" - lost the Top round corners...
I guess it was chopped then... :x
I want to display all 4 round corners ! :wink:

Any URL with more detailled samples scripts so as to understand better how each "Set props" can work is welcome !
Attachments
main body top chopped.png

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:22 am

another Freezing "news"... :P

While atempting to move the SVG to another place :
IDE didnt "like" testing something like "...to the right of the right of me".
Previous line was to the left of the left of me...
It Froze but I could get our of trouble and even save work before reopening Stack, still using Crtl/Del.
Plus I m using the debugger PLAY 1 step at a time, which filter other basic syntax errors.
Attachments
freeze when modifying right to right of me.png

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:29 am

set the height of group "MainBody" to  the height of me  -180
Thats the right code for resizing intermediate Body !
Its quite logical but every error cost more time coz of Freezing episodes ! :roll:

Are those numbers refering to Pixels ?

PBH

Post by PBH » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 am

Are you sure the problem is LC "Freezing" and not just the Script Editor going into Debugging Mode and stopping to display the error?

Sorry I don't use Windows, but on a Mac your code:

set the loc of widget 1 to the loc of me - 100
Gives the error: "execution error at line 2 (Operators -: error in left operand), char 31". Because "the Loc of me" contains 2 items, the X and Y coordinates, so this line should be something like:

set the loc of widget 1 to (item 1 of the loc of me - 100),(item 2 of the loc of me)
LiveCode doesn't usually freeze (even on Windows), in this case it simply switches to debug mode so you can investigate the error. The error is shown in the bottom pane of the Script Editor window by choosing the left hand tab. To exit Debug mode, click on the blue square icon in the top left of the Script Editor window, or go to the Debug Menu and choose Stop, or type ctrl-y.

And yes the numbers do refer to Pixels.

Tip: Go into the LC preferences and down to the Script Editor pane then set the "Debug background colour" to Custard Yellow, now it becomes obvious when LC switches into Debug mode.

Paul

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 am

Sure, i ll change Debugger color anew. i had it that way till i installed the new background.
(& reseted all params)

It looks a lot like a Freeze event
what I could experience:
- Have used debugger and Square btn to get out of errors before - but they do not work with that bug.
I could always, stop, debug, apply a solution and rerun w/t trouble, but not with this bug.

A) I though maybe its only getting really slow, due to a heavy Layout calculating, due to the scripting error.
so I ve waited for 2mins, still, it wouldnt get out of the Freeze state. (i3/16GB ram)
B) I could not open any other app out of LC, Explorer or whatever app.
C) sometime mouse could not reach the Windows Menu bar or would just disappear when over LC IDE.
D) LC windows would not respond using "X" close icon, nor the debugger.

Compared to the almost insignificant Modif. done. such as adding "-100" to a line, the consequences were "far unexpected".
Actualy, its the first time my PC ever Freezes since I got it -less than a year.
Also the 1rst time I had to use Ctrl/Alt/Del ever on this machine.
And I use a bunch of Soft every day...

I ll try to reproduce that and leave open the Resource Panel before it bugs.
(otherwise I cant even do it after its aleady frozen)

PBH

Post by PBH » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:29 am

That does sound very strange, I tried a search of the LiveCode Quality Centre and couldn't find anything relating to this kind of behaviour. LiveCode shouldn't Freeze or Crash on such a basic syntax error and I'm sure the LC team would be interested in fixing this problem if they can replicate it.

It may be helpful for you to file in a Bug Report at http://quality.livecode.com preferably with a small sample stack and explanation. Use a link to this forum thread if it helps.

Other things I usually try if I have a problem are:
Use breakpoints to check my code line by line (be wary of repeat loops though, it can get tedious).
Use "put" statements to put a value into the message box, can be useful if you are unsure of the value of a variable or calculation.
Use the Message Watcher to see which handlers are being triggered and when, this does slow things down though.
Sometimes I find Cmd-. will stop a script mid flow, I think Ctrl-. (Control + Period) on Windows.
Sometimes clicking on "Messages" in the LC Menu Bar will stop a script mid flow, even sometimes when it doesn't look like it works, it eventually does if LC is still alive!
If a script does go into debug mode, hover the mouse cursor over the name of any variable in the script editor to see the value that it holds, you can also check the values of any variables in the Variables pane of the Script Editor window.

Sorry I can't help more, as I don't see the same problem on a Mac and I don't have a Windows PC to test on.

Good Luck.

Paul

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 am

If the stack you're working on is as small as the example you posted a screen shot of, can you post it here?

If we can see the issue first-hand we may be able to either come up with a workaround or steward a bug report.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Talking LiveCode”