Nudge painfully slow

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Nudge painfully slow

Post by jacque » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 pm
Or close the PI.

That is the culprit, at least here. And maybe OS 10.9
Ah. That makes sense. It tries to update after every event. There were bug reports in the past because it didn't do that.

@bogs: click in the stack to shift the focus. I've seen it get confused sometimes. Sometimes you even have to re-select an object.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 pm

I actually did do that, as well as many other things. A few of the things I tried was...
clicking on the card (multiple times)
clicking on the title bar of the stack (same)
selecting all buttons (same)
clicking on the selected buttons (same)
rolling my mouse wheel over the stack/card (same) {XFCE linux desktop allows window selection this way}
Might be a glitch, I didn't try closing / reopening / going through it all again, but no matter what I did, if the PI was open, it got the focus :(

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 pm

It turns out that if I select 100 controls and nudge a few times, I can go out to lunch and when I come back the action will have finally completed.
From a purely sociological point of view I wonder why you'd
want to select 100 controls at once (and, come to think of things,
why you'd have at least 100 controls on one card anyway).

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Well, I'd guess it is because it is there. Isn't that the reason people who climb mountains, chase storms, etc give you? If it works for them, it should for us :wink:

While a 100 (or more) might seem ... um ... different, he did start off by saying
If I have more than a dozen or so controls, select them all and then nudge with the arrowKeys, the action is so slow I initially thought LC had frozen, and had to force quit the app.
...which is not all that hard to imagine needing to do. So I am guessing it was in the nature of a test.

My apologies to Craig, on re-reading this thread from the beginning, I did see you mentioned using the arrow keys without the PI open, and so my testing was obviously not helpful at all to you :( I am failing miserably in my basic comprehension skills :oops:

Return to “Talking LiveCode”