Asynchronous spinner

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trevix

Asynchronous spinner

Post by trevix » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 pm

I may have got this wrong but, as of today, I am still struggling trying to have the user know that my standalone is running and not locked in limbo.
Despite what Apple says ( that on mobile the user should never have to wait), there is a need, on PC and mobile, to have a "wait" spinner in LiveCode that is not disturbed by other scripts running.
The Standalone may be checking internet, change the language, load files or do other long operations that both on a computer and on a phone require even 10 seconds.

I tried widget, gif, send in time, Spinner store, etc. but to no avail. They work in a jerky way, if the standalone is doing something else.

This idea by Slylabs13 is interesting (although only on Apple script): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9364&p=48231&hilit= ... ner#p48231
But the example was never uploaded.

I am tempted on creating a small spinner App, to be loaded inside the standalone and launched and repositioned by this, but it will take a good deal of time and I am not sure if it will work.
Anyway, I think that this is an important problem and, if possible, should be addressed by the LC team.
Unless I am missing something.

Trevix
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Asynchronous spinner

Post by richmond62 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:22 pm

I have a feeling that the answer to your problem has something to do with:

without waiting

trevix

Re: Asynchronous spinner

Post by trevix » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:31 pm

mmmh...your answer somehow imply that wait time is a problem of mine, not everybody's. How that's possible?
Anyway, I will make a try, but it may slow to a croll other parallel script. Or not?
Are you saying that this two will share ticks on a PC/mobile?

Code: Select all

Command DoSomething
	repeat from 1 to 100000
		put x into y
	end repeat
end DoSomething

On RotateSpin
	move...
	wait 100 milliseconds with messages
	send "RotateSpin" to me without waiting
end RotateSpin
Trevix