Repairing the amnesia of standalones

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: Repairing the amnesia of standalones

Post by bogs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:42 am

jacque wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:44 pm
In general, standalones will ignore breakpoints because they don't include a debugger.
That is what I would have thought would happen, as in *most other languages, and Ross could have been joking certainly, if so well played sir, well played :P I've never tried it myself, I just remembered seeing his post.
jacque wrote:
I haven't had time to follow this thread thoroughly, so I shouldn't be commenting on the OP's issues.
Bullocks! If nothing else, your comments save me from making too large an arse of myself, and I have picked up a great deal of information from you that I have not found elsewhere. Besides, the more comments, the more complete information available to the OP.
jacque wrote:
...the script of the mainstack has to be put in use if its handlers need to function when called from another stack. I vaguely recall this wasn't always necessary but either things have changed or I remember wrong.
...so, you are saying that if routines from the launching stack are being used, it should stay open instead of closing it, right?

* Refers to languages I've personally used, pascal, delphi, vb, most basics, etc.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:09 am

you are saying that if routines from the launching stack are being used, it should stay open instead of closing it, right?
There are several permutations.

If the launcher stack is the mainstack/standalone (the common case) that opens other document stacks, then it does need to remain accessible. If the destroystack is false it will mostly take care of itself. The mainstack can be hidden or moved offscreen instead of closing, but if its destroystack is false then it can be closed. Provided the script is in use its handlers will still be available.

If the mainstack/standalone is the only stack, then closing it will quit the app.

If the mainstack/standalone has substacks, closing the mainstack will not quit the app if any substack is open, because it's the engine that is running the substack. But if its script is not in use, the handlers will not be in the message path and are inaccessible.

I'm working from memory but I think that's right. Someone will correct me if not.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Thank you for the clarification :)

Return to “Talking LiveCode”