Transitioning from earlier version to current version

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

LexDyGuru

Transitioning from earlier version to current version

Post by LexDyGuru » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 am

Hi,

we are transitioning software/programs written in LiveCode 6.5 to version 9.0. One of our scripts/programs, which has several thousand lines of code, processes a large document contained in a field. When running the program in version 6.5 to process the text in a field equal to 70 pages of an MS Word document it takes about 47 seconds to process the text. But in LiveCode version 9, the same program processing the same text takes almost 2 minutes (1 min 50 seconds). Any thoughts or ideas or guesses why this would be and whether there are any quick fixes? Any leads welcome.

Thank you
LexDyGuru

Klaus

Re: Transitioning from earlier version to current version

Post by Klaus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am

Hi LexDyGuru,

1. welcome to the forum! :D
2. In version 7.x the mothership added complete UNICODE support to LC, so I think that causes the slowdown.

But maybe you can post (parts of) the script here and we see if we can improve for speed?
I really do not doubt your scripting capabilities, but you get the picutre...

Best

Klaus

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:01 pm

I really do not doubt your scripting capabilities,
What Klaus means is that if you have authored a many-thousand-lines-of-code stack, you likely know not to deal with field data directly, and to lock the screen now and then.

There have been several threads on speed issues in versions above 6, mainly due, as Klaus mentioned, to Unicode. The bigger the better? I wonder if it would be useful to be able to disable unicode support? Not sure if this is easy or not, but anyone think this is worth it for the speed bump?

Craig Newman

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:16 pm

I'd like to be able to disable it on demand, since I have no real use for it in the things I tackle. Aside from the speed increase, the size of file decrease would be nice.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”