Running EXE or IOS equivalent from web page

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

user#606

Running EXE or IOS equivalent from web page

Post by user#606 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm

I am exploring options.
I understand a livecode file can be run on a pc, triggered by a link to the file in a web page.
1/ Is this correct and how?
2/ can this be done for phones and tablets (android Apple) using a similar mechanism, and how?
3/ is there any other way of getting software onto unbroken Apple phones and tablets other than through their store?

I have a project for tourists to use off-line, when out and about, away from the internet. Obviously they would need to down load initially.

I hope you can advise

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Running EXE or IOS equivalent from web page

Post by Mikey » Wed May 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Let me answer the iOS questions:
What you can do is embed a special URL in a webpage or an email that allows the user to load an app onto their device. You will have to host the app, and build the HTML page and the plist file. There is a stack, called "airlaunch", that makes that task easier.
You cannot just distribute an app without the App Store to just anyone. You have a limit to the number of people you can have in an ad hoc distribution, and the app has to be compiled using a provisioning profile that specifically includes that device. I think there is a limit of 100, if I remember, for an individual developer. For a company, I don't remember if there is a limit - I think there is not, but again, you have to include the UUID of the devices in the provisioning profile, and then build the app - if you add a device, you have to recompile, using the provisioning profile that includes that device. The easiest way to get the UUID of a device, IMHO, is by connecting the device to iTunes, and extracting it from there. You can give someone directions on how to do it remotely, too.

FourthWorld

Re: Running EXE or IOS equivalent from web page

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 31, 2017 11:48 pm

If you're referring to URl schemes, they can be used on both desktop and mobile to launch the app from a URL, such as in a web page, and perform specific actions.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Talking LiveCode”