socket failing at 2:00 pm each day

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

adventuresofgreg

socket failing at 2:00 pm each day

Post by adventuresofgreg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm having a very strange problem. I have a LC app made with v8.1.3 that uses a socket connection to a remote server, and it works all day. Every day at exactly 2:00 pm MST, the socket connection fails, and I cannot reconnect. No matter what. Even restarting computer wont fix it. I can only connect the next morning. This happens on any computer, Mac, Windows, Linux running my LV standalones, (or even LC native app) - even a computer running on a cloud service.

However, it does NOT happen when running a LC app generated by versions previous to 8 (ie: v6 and less). In fact, just tested right this minute - exact SAME app running in v8.1.3 cannot log into remote server. And running on v6.0.2 I log on right away.

This is driving me nuts! Any ideas??? My log in code is something like:

Code: Select all

on mouseup
   put  "20100" into tPort
   put field "IPaddress" into tIPaddress
   put (tipaddress & ":" & tPort) into Rsocket
   open  secure socket to Rsocket with message "chatconnected" without verification

write "this is a test" to  socket Rsocket with message "SentMessage"
end mouseup

on chatconnected Rsocket
   read from  socket Rsocket with message "chatReceived"
end chatconnected

on chatReceived Rsocket, pData
   put pdata & return after field "incoming"  
   read from socket Rsocket  with message "chatReceived"
end chatReceived

on SentMessage pData
   put "message Sent" && pData 
end SentMessage

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: socket failing at 2:00 pm each day

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 am

What do you see if you check "the result" immediately after the "open socket" command?

Does this also happen in v9p6? We're getting close to RC so this is a good time to be using it to make sure the new version does what you need for your app.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

adventuresofgreg

Post by adventuresofgreg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 am

Hi Richard:

Where would I insert the "put the result" message? I watch messages "on chatconnected", but nothing comes through. I've tried non SSL as well, same diff.

No, i have not tried v9 yet. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not hopeful. I just downloaded a number of old versions and all of the versions PRIOR to the first Unicode version (which seems like v 7), work properly, and all versions after v7 crash at the end of the day.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 am

adventuresofgreg wrote:Where would I insert the "put the result" message?
If it's failing to connect, check "the result" immediately after the "open socket" command.
No, i have not tried v9 yet. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not hopeful. I just downloaded a number of old versions and all of the versions PRIOR to the first Unicode version (which seems like v 7), work properly, and all versions after v7 crash at the end of the day.
That's the reason to try the very latest test build. If it works in v9dp6 you're likely good going forward. If it crashes it needs to be fixed for v9dp7. If you have a repeatable recipe for the crash please submit a report on that:
http://quality.livecode.com/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

adventuresofgreg

Post by adventuresofgreg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 pm

So I've tried v9dp6 and same problem. 2:00 pm MST on the second I get kicked off the remote server and can't log back in until next morning. Any computer, any LC version later than v7. Any app generated with earlier than 7 is fine. I've tried non SSL and SSL and does not make a diff. "put the result" immediately after open socket returns nothing.

Any other ideas? Is there some other remote sever i can connect to, to see if this is a problem with the particular server I'm connecting to, or a more general problem with any server?

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi all,

This problem is caused by a bug when converting to the long date format, affecting LiveCode 7+.

For more details and a workaround, see http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19469

Best,
Panos
--

adventuresofgreg

Post by adventuresofgreg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Brilliant! Thanks LC dev guy. And thanks Richard for encouraging me to submit the problem to them.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”