Datagrid Table - How to read the row order

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

Datagrid Table - How to read the row order

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 am

Hi,

I have been reading the Datagrid API but still seek enlightenment. I have a standard datagrid table that allows the user to sort the rows by selecting the column headings. I wish to extract the data in the same order as it is being displayed. The simple answer is to use the dgText[true] command which returns a TSV copy of the data in the display order with headings.

Code: Select all

put the dgText[true] of group "dgNotes" into tData -- TSV in display order
So thats o.k. ??

However, the API implies that the dgText command is for wimps "in the interest of making life easier for some folks there is the dgText property". So real non-folksy (is that a word?) programmers use the dgData property.

put the dgData of group "dgNotes" into tDataA
As far as I can see this returns the data in an unordered array.

The property "sort by column" returns the column being used to sort the data but it does not return the sort direction i.e. ascending / descending and I cannot find a property that does return the direction.

put the dgProp["sort by column"] of group "dgnotes" into tSortCol
Now I expect that I have missed something obvious, can you shed some light or am I just going to accept that I am one of those folks who uses dgText?
best wishes
Skids

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Datagrid Table - How to read the row order

Post by dunbarx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 pm

I use the dgText all the time. I am a wimp.

If you extract the dgData, the only thing you can do is sort the keys of that array, which may or may not get you where you need to be. You would have to transform the array into an ordinary variable using the "combine" command, and then use all of LC's tools from there.

Wimps unite!

Craig Newman

Simon Knight

Re: Datagrid Table - How to read the row order

Post by Simon Knight » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 am

A folksy wimp - whatever next ?!

Does seem to be an omission from the API - user is sorting on column "fred" but I'm not going to tell you in which direction. (Do you feel lucky???)

dgtext rules

Simon K
best wishes
Skids

Return to “Talking LiveCode”