Random Sudden Quits in 8.1.2, Mac OS

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Timothy

Random Sudden Quits in 8.1.2, Mac OS

Post by Timothy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm getting too many random quits in LC 8.1.2, Community Edition, with Mac OS version 10.12.2. Not doing anything special, the context seems different every time. The machine is question is in use every day, for all kinds of purposes, seems absolutely stable. I did run the Disk First Aid utility. No help.

Known problem?

Is it my fault? Are there common user mistakes or gotchas that cause sudden quits?

The stack is completely ordinary, except that it uses several player objects, external sound files in .wav format, and often changes the fileNames of the players. I don't think there are any bad external sound files. The stack in question appears error-free, except when LC suddenly quits.

EDIT: The stack includes careful checks for invalid file paths for player fileName, so that is not a likely cause of the problem.

Another EDIT: I tried the debugger to isolate the line that causes the freeze or unexpected quit. The freeze apparently happened on mouseUp before the debugger could start. I don't know what this means.

I suppose it's possible that there is something subtly wrong with one or more of the sound files, but they play normally in LC and other apps.

Thanks!

Tim
Last edited by Timothy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be happy and rich than poor and sad -- W. C. Fields

livecodeali
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Random Sudden Quits in 8.1.2, Mac OS

Post by livecodeali » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am

There have been some issues with setting player filenames, but IIRC they were on Linux only (http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14427).

Are you getting a crash log? If so, please file a bug report and attach it.

exheusden

Re: Random Sudden Quits in 8.1.2, Mac OS

Post by exheusden » Sun May 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Timothy, interesting. I, too, have been having problems of total freezes on my Mac when using a stack that has several hundred cards with Player objects. Tests showed that going from card to card in a repeat loop was causing hundreds of Threads to be generated. The only solution I have found, is to remove the Player objects.

For more info, see http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 34#p154034

Return to “Talking LiveCode”