BUG? ≠ not equals char not working in 6.6.2 rc2 ?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

PaulDaMacMan

BUG? ≠ not equals char not working in 6.6.2 rc2 ?

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11 am

Hello all,
I figure I should start contributing to this community since I'm having such a blast reviving my old HyperCard stacks (and even porting them to Android)!
So here goes:

used in a button script:
if selectedLineNum ≠ (it-1) then put empty into gPrevSelectedFolderLine -- ≠ not equals character no longer works?
gives error left operand. However this works fine:
if selectedLineNum is not (it-1) then put empty into gPrevSelectedFolderLine -- is not instead works fine.

tested in the message box:
if the number of lines in fld "DirectoryFlowPathsList" ≠ 2 then answer the number of lines in fld "DirectoryFlowPathsList"
works fine!
Possibly a bug?
It's driving me nuts because:
a) building for Android (and using drop-box to sync/test on my phone -- slow laptop so this is faster then emulator or finding a cable) and the scripts only seem to really fail on Android.
b) Thanks to LiveCode going open-source, I just started HyperTalking (a lot) again after not doing so much for many years and tend to forget the differences
c) ≠ not equals char doesn't show in a search of the dictionary but does seem to work (at least sometimes)

Can anyone else confirm that this is a bug or otherwise enlighten me?
Thanks

Cheers.
https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: BUG? ≠ not equals char not working in 6.6.2 rc2 ?

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:55 am

Hi.

My very first exposure to the differences in the syntax of LC vs. the syntax of HC was this very thing. Tripped me up a treat.

"<>" is now the only option for "not equal to".

Craig Newman

BvG

Post by BvG » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm

actualy, ≠ works perfectly fine, but only on mac os platforms (dunnow about iOS).
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Yipes.

When did this revert back? I certainly ran up against this several years ago, where it did not work at all. Changed my thinking, which was fine. But it does work today. OS 10.5.8 on PPC, LC 6.5.2.

Jacque, I think it was you that told me that the old HC "≠" was no longer valid.

Craig

EDIT... Am I mis-remembering this, and it was always the "≤" and the "≥" (greater than or equal to, etc.) that became invalid in LC, though those were valid in HC?

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:47 pm

My guess is that the problem is due to the different character sets on different operating systems. The symbols don't translate correctly from Mac Roman. The plain ASCII characters are universal.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:59 am

It seems that the not-equals char (≠) is no longer reliable on Mac OS X (10.6.8) either anymore and it is not in the LC dictionary. Though it does seem to be working on the Mac side now. I may have accidentally launched my stack in the 6.7.x (unicode/cocoa) engine. I have both 6.7.x and 6.6.2rc2 installed. This may have been why it was only a problem intermittently?

Anyway, that was the ticket! It never occurred to me that the not-equals character is different on other non-Mac-Roman character sets! It totally makes sense to stick to ASCII chars in scripts destined for other platforms. Must force myself to stick too <> or "is not" from now on!

Thanks!

For the hell of it and for future thread visitors, I tried != (I don't like the look of <>). It doesn't work :|
https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/

Return to “Talking LiveCode”