Script Editor Bug

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

CenturyMan1979

Script Editor Bug

Post by CenturyMan1979 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey All,

Has anyone else run into an issue with the script editor window not letting you see your whole script? Also if I try and use the quick find nothing shows up. Seems like the content of the window is bigger than the window it is in.

LiveCode Version 5.5.4
Build # 1502

sturgis
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Script Editor Bug

Post by sturgis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Haven't seen this issue, can you post a screenshot of the window when this occurs? Is it possible you've been switched to debug mode? (debug controls have an active stop button in the upper left of the window when this occurs and your options become limited since you're then in a paused kinda mode) If the debug controls don't show there is a disclosure triangle on the topright of the window that you can use to toggle the control visibility.

If you also don't see any handlers on the left side, but have lots of script in the right you're stuck in a sort of limbo. In this case, if the apply button is not active, click somewhere and type a space. Then hit apply and the handlers should show up. (caused by having a script that is saved as part of a stack, but not correctly compiled. Not easy to get into this state, but it does happen sometimes)

Either way, a screenie of the situation might help figure things out. Oh, and if you're in that limbo state then I can see the search capabilities not working either.

CenturyMan1979

Post by CenturyMan1979 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:57 pm

No I am not in debug mode. This happens even if I open a new project and just start editing some code like in this screen shot,

As you can see the scroll bar on the right side is scrolling below the window.

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Does look like the geometry is messed up with that window.

Try this..

Create a new stack. Put 1 button on it.

Open the script editor for the button and put the following into the mouseup handler for that button.. Adding comments after the code.

Code: Select all

set the loc of button "Resizer" of card "Main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1" to (item 1 of the loc of button "Resizer" of card "Main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1"),(the bottom of card "main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1" - 150)
dispatch "sePrefSet" to card "main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1"  with "paneHeight", (the bottom of card "Main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1"  - the bottom of button "resizer" of card "main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1")
dispatch "actionResizeStack" to card "main" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1"

First line sets the location of the resizer control (that is supposed to be at the bottom of the script window) to a location that is 150 pixels above the bottom of the script editor card

Next line sends a message using dispatch to the stack with the arguments "paneHeight" and the difference in location from the bottom of the card and the bottom of the resizer control.

The last line dispatches a message "actionResizeStack" to the script editor window so that it will run through all its resizing stuff and finalize things.

I'd suggest then manually dragging the resize control so that if I missed anything, any other settings will be re-updated and hopefully stick.

CenturyMan1979

Post by CenturyMan1979 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks for the post sturgis but I actually just got done uninstalling and reinstalling livecode which seems to have fixed the issue. If this issue happens again in the future I will be sure to try your suggestion first to avoid reinstalling.

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 pm

If it happens again hopefully the steps that led up to the issue will become clear so that it can be fixed.

Though I suspect the upcoming major changes will make the whole thread moot. I can't wait to try the new ide front end.

Glad you got it working!

Oh, just remembered also, there is a prefs file (which is actually a livecode file) that can be deleted that will fix strange random issues sometimes but I don't remember where it is off the top of my head. I think it varies based on os and os version. Its searchable here in the forums though so if it happens again that may be another thing to try. (think it would require you to point at your license again but thats easy enough to do)

CenturyMan1979

Post by CenturyMan1979 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Just had the same issue happen again today and found that if you delete the livecode.rev file that is located in the user directory on windows it fixes the issue. My livecode.rev file was located at C:\Users\Jeremy\AppData\Roaming\RunRev\Preferences\livecode.rev

andrewferguson
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by andrewferguson » Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 am

Hi,
Why not report this to quality [DOT] runrev [DOT] com, so this can be fixed for future releases.
Andrew

pderks

Post by pderks » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Great thanks, sturgis,

you have saved my work, my weekend, this week …

Peter

LC 9.0.0

Return to “Talking LiveCode”