Hard crash under OSX

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Troy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Hard crash under OSX

Post by Troy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:39 am

I have a project using the revBrowser.

My system:
Mac OSX.4.10
G5x4
Rev Enterprise

Twice today, Rev crashed my system HARD, blue-screened it. I work with a lot of heavy duty software, and haven't seen a crash like this in a couple of years.

I'm not sure the details of the first crash, but the second one was after I had run some tests, saved my files, voided my browser instance, and was quitting Rev. Revolution closed, and then the whole system came down.

Obviously, this is something I want to avoid. So, is there some known circumstance in which Rev will completely kill an otherwise normally behaving system?

Further, are there any known issues with Rev on multi-processor systems? I notice that Rev's use of resources seems unusual, sporadically grabbing tons of CPU time and then releasing it, having big hesitations in responding to mouse clicks (for instance right-clicking an object and having like a 3 second lag before the menu displays, etc.) This is even with an empty stack as the only thing loaded, and right-clicking to get the context menu, or in fact, clicking on one of the items in the menubar with absolutely nothing loaded.

I've used Rev on and off since the beta of version 1, and don't remember these behaviors even on much lesser systems. I've examined the behavior by removing all my plugins, frontscripts, etc. but they don't seem to have any effect - even with them removed Rev's performance seems poor, much worse than it used to be. All of my other applications and development tools run normally and without these issues (crashing or poor performance.)

So, are there any known issues with the latest version of Rev which would contribute to these behaviors?

Troy

Post by Troy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:15 am

I notice that this thread http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=505

also seems to indicate a freezing issue with G5 macs, I'm not seeing freezing, but I am seeing sporadically poor performance, and outright crashing of the system.

Troy

Post by Troy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:49 pm

OK, this is happening consistently. Revolution is hard-crashing my G5 every time I quit Revolution - IF I had been using the RevBrowser during the session.

This even happens with the browser sample. It happens if I close any and all open stacks and remove them from memory before quitting.

If I don't use the RevBrowser, Revolution quits normally. If I do, Revolution quits slowly, and then upon actually closing, it crashes my entire machine.

I'd call this a significant issue.

Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:13 pm

This might be related to bug 4991 - as yet unconfirmed. I guess it might be helpful to add a comment there - maybe the G5-ness will help to narrow it down...

Best,

Mark

Troy

Post by Troy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for pointing out that bug number Mark. I've added my comment and votes to it. Personally, I think that any bug that completely takes a machine out (requiring a cold boot) should be addressed with the utmost priority, so I'm kind of harping on it.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”