A piece of one card appears on another

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: A piece of one card appears on another

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:10 pm

Stam.

The phantom always appears at the very bottom of the card window, at the height of a menubar (16 pixels?). I do not think there is any property that allows setting anything about that.

In any case, it is a spurious issue with the engine, and LCMark thinks it will be simple to fix.

To me, that begs the issue why I only see this in a single stack, and am the only one who sees it. I do have my own menubar there, but do also have in many other stacks. Just me, again.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:08 pm

I did wonder if it was menubar related because the same thing happened on Macs way back in the beginning of LC, only in the opposite direction. Stacks would be truncated at the bottom by the height of the menubar. It was due to a particular stack property being set but I can't remember which property it was, since it's been fixed for so long. Maybe a regression has appeared and the stack is now over compensating due to the older fix.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:20 pm

Jacque,

But this is different in that no part of the card window is truncated, rather a phantom image of a graphic on one card seems to be "impressed" on another. As if it bled through from one card to the next. It is only an interesting side issue, at least for me, that the height of the impressed image is the same as the height of the menuBar.

It is the image thing. And even now, I do not believe that this has been really understood.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:09 pm

stam wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:07 am
i don't understand - can you adjust the vertical placement of a mac menu bar? How is it affected by what happens on a card?
On Macs a menubar is created exactly as it is on Windows and is placed at the top of the card. When run on a Windows machine, that's what you see. On a Mac the stack is scrolled up so that the menu group is off the top of the window and out of view, and the menu buttons are translated to the system menu at the top of the screen.

The older bug didn't account for the area of the stack that was out of view and so the bottom of the stack was cut off by the height of the menubar. This new bug apparently doesn't redraw the area at the bottom of the stack when changing cards.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:23 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:20 pm
Jacque,

But this is different in that no part of the card window is truncated, rather a phantom image of a graphic on one card seems to be "impressed" on another. As if it bled through from one card to the next. It is only an interesting side issue, at least for me, that the height of the impressed image is the same as the height of the menuBar.

It is the image thing. And even now, I do not believe that this has been really understood.

Craig
Yes, but I think the two may be related. The truncation was fixed long ago. What seems to be happening is that the area that was extended at the bottom back then is not redrawing now.

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:44 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:09 pm
On Macs a menubar is created exactly as it is on Windows and is placed at the top of the card. When run on a Windows machine, that's what you see. On a Mac the stack is scrolled up so that the menu group is off the top of the window and out of view, and the menu buttons are translated to the system menu at the top of the screen.
Thanks Jacque, never in a million years would it have crossed my mind that this was what was happening!!!
Naively i was thinking the menubar on mac would be completely independent of the card/stack... Learn something new every day ;)

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Stam.

I always thought that the Mac implementation of a menu is the "right" way, not the clunky Windows way.

But in LC you can see this; you have control over the group of buttons that comprise the menubar. The easiest way is to make your own, perhaps with the menuBuilder gadget (which works quite well) and click the checkbox "Set as Stack Menu Bar".

Voila. You have a clunky, ugly, space consuming Windows-like but perfectly functional custom menuBar.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:08 pm

Well, well,

In playing around after talking with Jacque and Stam, it seems that the phantom problem has gone away.

Same stack, though I played around with its rect a bit, and I did set the "Set as Stack Menu Bar" checkBox just to see the menubar appear at the top of the card window.

So I no longer need the overlying field that I select and then deselect every time I navigate from one card to the other.

Well, well.

Craig

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:10 pm

With Jacque’s explanation it makes perfect sense. I’ll admit I haven’t created menus for my apps but was at some point planning to do so. I naively thought the menus were their own (sub)stack somehow…

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:19 pm

I always like the way HC did it, where menus were their own object class. It was easier to separate them mentally for me, and easier to program their functionality. I assume that since groups are a mainstay of LC, menus were built the way they are, either because it is more robust, or because it was simpler.

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”