mergGoogle for Android? (or how to upload to Google Spreadsheets)

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

simon.schvartzman

mergGoogle for Android? (or how to upload to Google Spreadsheets)

Post by simon.schvartzman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi team, is there something similar to mergGoogle external for Android?

I'm trying to upload the mobile GPS coordinates to a Google spreadsheet and mergGoogle will be the right tool to do it but it is for iOS only and I need my App to run on Android :(

Any suggestion as how to achieve my goal will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Simon

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: mergGoogle for Android? (or how to upload to Google Spreadsheets)

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Hey, Simon.
A couple of ideas:
1) MergGoogle runs on both iOS and MacOS, so the really long/steampunk way about fixing this would be to have your android write the data to somewhere, e.g. Dropbox (just because we have a LC library, so that part is easy), and then have a daemon running on a Mac to update the spreadsheet. We do something similar but it's even more steampunk, going ERP running on RHEL to Dropbox to the daemon to another system, and back, and then to Sheets.
2) The Sheets REST API is open (and more recent than the mergGoogle API, so it is more feature complete, too), so you could call those routines directly
3) Check with Monte if there is a plan to port it.
4) Because the API is open, if I was betting, I'd bet that the answer to 3 is "No", because some day we're going to have LC Open (or whatever the name is going to be) that will auto-implement REST API's.
5) There are ongoing issues with mergGoogle especially in environments where the network connection isn't always reliable (e.g. when your phone gets on and off WiFi and has to switch to and from the cell antenna). There are workarounds, but they are not 100%. Option 1 is actually a good way around this because even though the hardware setup looks like spaghetti, from a networking perspective it's actually simpler.

simon.schvartzman

Re: mergGoogle for Android? (or how to upload to Google Spreadsheets)

Post by simon.schvartzman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:47 pm

@Mikey, many thanks for your prompt and broad answer.

Option #2 looks promising, I guess I will follow that path.

Regards
Simon

Return to “Talking LiveCode”