MCNotifyPing and s_notify_sent

Discussion about LiveCode Global Jam events and activities

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Martin Koob
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

MCNotifyPing and s_notify_sent

Post by Martin Koob » Fri May 23, 2014 2:03 pm

In the engine contributors forum there is a post: MCNotifyPing and s_notify_sent
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 51#p100851

It relates to messages not being sent from a mergExt external that I use in my app.

So in 6.5 and 6.6 I have the problems with callback messages from the external not being consistently sent.
In 6.7 this is resolved but I can't move to 6.7 yet because I use a player object and the AVFoundation based player object is not ready.

Is it possible that the fix in 6.7 be ported back to 6.5 or 6.6 so I can still use 6.5-6.6 with the old quicklime based player until the new AVFoundation based player is ready and 6.7 is released?

Martin Koob

LCfraser
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: MCNotifyPing and s_notify_sent

Post by LCfraser » Fri May 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid that the fix isn't something readily backported - it is due to the changes in the event handling loop as part of the transition to Cocoa. There may be an underlying bug here but we've been unable to confirm why it is happening.

Regards,
Fraser

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Fri May 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Should this be reported as a separate bug so it can get looked into today?

benjibeaumont
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by benjibeaumont » Fri May 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid this isn't something we could fix in pre 6.7. The bug is fixed because of the move to cocoa and some fairly fundamental changes which we can't backport. 6.7 multimedia isn't too far away.

Warm regards,

Ben
Ben Beaumont | Runtime Revolution

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Fri May 23, 2014 4:49 pm

I am hoping that the 6.7 multimedia is ready soon and I can move to 6.7. Is 'not too far away' = weeks or months?

In case there are unforeseen problems in implementing AVfoundation player could it go the other way could their be an option to use QT player in LC 6.7 in a backward compatibility mode?

I am just afraid I will be stuck between two versions not being able to use either.

I just submitted a bug report relating to setting the callbacks of the player on LC 6.7 Because it is a crashing bug I can't test my app any further.

Martin

benjibeaumont
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by benjibeaumont » Fri May 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Martin,

One of our developers Panos is working on the player controller which is close to completion. He'll make a start on AVFoundation after that and once ready it'll go into the 6.7 cycle. In terms of release schedule I'm afraid that will all depend on how the implementation goes and whether we have to work our way around the API to provide backward compatibility.

Warm regards,

Ben
Ben Beaumont | Runtime Revolution

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Sat May 24, 2014 6:54 am

> QT player in LC 6.7 in a backward compatibility mode
I second that and would add to that an LC7 backward compatibility mode as a stop-gap measure until people are ready to update their scripts / change to new syntax. The code already exists and QT X ( and Quicktime 7 for "legacy" formats) are still available up to OS X Mavericks 10.9.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Sat May 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks for the support Paul. I have started a new thread on the topic of the player changes in 6.7 as this discussion is off topic from this thread.

Martin

Return to “LiveCode Global Jam”