Revlet-friendly combo box

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Regulae

Revlet-friendly combo box

Post by Regulae » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi all,

An earlier query by Mike pointed out that the standard combo box does not function correctly in revlets.
http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php? ... 47&start=0
This is a problem because revlets are intended as a way to deliver LiveCode stacks on the Internet, running in the user's browser. In the browser, where space is scarce, there is a frequent need to facilitate structured user input by providing scrolling lists to choose from- a combo box is the ideal control to use. I put together a quick "work-around" so Mike could direct his attention to other design challenges, but have since tried to refine a more generally usable, "revlet friendly" combo box.

I came to realise that trying to design an alternate control for LiveCoders to use is a little more complex than using LiveCode to make a "widget" for general users. When people normally come to use something designed and deployed WITH LiveCode, they are naturally operating in what, in the IDE, is termed "run mode". For the revletCombo to be useful as a control IN LiveCode, it must not only look and behave, with the browse tool, like the standard combo box- the LiveCoder naturally expects to be able to modify its script and other properties. The revletCombo is, predictably, a group intended to act as a "virtual" control. Achieving effective run mode/edit mode behaviour was the main challenge and interest, regardless of the viability of revlets in their current state for content delivery. The script used is extensively commented, as much to keep things clear in my own head, as for other readers. I've also included a discussion of some of the design aspects explored.

I'm posting the progress thus far for general interest.

Regards,

Michael
Attachments
revletComboBox.zip
(18.12 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”