SOLVED - Drop Downs / Combo Boxes not working properly

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

admin12

SOLVED - Drop Downs / Combo Boxes not working properly

Post by admin12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 pm

I am having a weird problem.

Using combo boxes as a date picker, I have set up month, day and year as combo boxes. I added all months, days and a range of years.

When picking each item they show up fine. However, if I try to scroll down for more months/days/years, it will not scroll and acts as if I picked nothing.

If I change it to any other control (pull down, popup, etc), then it simply does not work - does not show the month, day or year that was chosen.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike
Last edited by admin12 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaus

Re: Drop Downs / Combo Boxes not working properly

Post by Klaus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Mike,.

we are still working very hard on clairvoyance, but until that please post your script(s)!
"it simply does not work" is not a meaningful description!

Best

Klaus

admin12

Post by admin12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Klaus,

Ha ha. Shouldn't the scroll bar work without any script? It's checked off. The horizontal scroll bars work fine. It's the vertical ones that are not working. I have no script yet, as I am designing all the cards first.

Mike

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:17 am

I'm confused too. Combo boxes don't have scroll bars. So what doesn't scroll?

If you don't have scripts yet, maybe a screen shot of your layout would help.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Regulae

Post by Regulae » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:59 am

Hi Mike,

If there are no scripts written as yet, there are naturally none to post. You've mentioned some very interesting behaviour, which I'd like to be able to reproduce to investigate further. It would help if you could post a stack that exhibits the behaviour you describe, so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing. You've said that horizontal scroll bars work, but not vertical, even when checked off. So far as I have been able to see, button "ComboBox Menu" controls can have a built-in vertical scroll bar (which thus doesn't need to be checked) and no horizontal bar. Clearly, I don't understand the specific problem, and it would really help if you could post an example stack, in the absence of any suspect scripts. We really need to see the problem in action. Like Klaus, I'm keen to help, and agree a clear example of the problem would help in finding a solution.

Regards,

Michael

admin12

Post by admin12 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Go to the following web address:

http://www.campstaffusa.com/newdb/reg.html

Choose either new or returning registration and try to use the date picking combo boxes. Good luck scrolling them - I cannot.

Also, how do you make it so that the TAB key works properly, so I can tab to the next field?

I also need help with error checking the page 2 registration, but that comes later.

Remember, I have little to no coding here yet, mostly design. I have another 7 pages just for this section, and two more sections after that, so I have 30 pages (roughly) to create before I can start coding them for use with the database.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Regulae

Post by Regulae » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi Mike,

At least in my tests, the combo box control works correctly in the development environment, but not when the stack is deployed in the plugin. The only work-around I found was setting the menuLines equal to the number of lines in the menu i.e. if you have twelve month names, setting the menuLines to 12, which eliminates the scrolling altogether. Of course, for your requirements this is not satisfactory- under "Day" and even more so, under "Year", you want to provide a long list of alternatives. Which is why you chose to use the combo box control in the first place. You may have to consider an alternative design, say prompting the user with a mm/dd/yyyy format suggestion, and then script some input checking, e.g. if they enter "897" for the "Day", asking them to enter something in the range 1 to 31. I did a search on the Forum on this problem, and found:
http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php? ... gin#p28783
... so I think the problem has been encountered before. At least you know it's not caused by some setting you've overlooked.

Regards,
Michael

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Mike,

a short hint that this is happening in a Revlet would have helped!
For me the web plug-in is not yet ready for "primetime" in its current state!

Best

Klaus

admin12

Post by admin12 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Klaus wrote:Mike,

a short hint that this is happening in a Revlet would have helped!
For me the web plug-in is not yet ready for "primetime" in its current state!

Best

Klaus
Well, unfortunately, this is what my clients want and the entire reason I chose Live Code in the first place. I really wish RunRev would fix this. Anyway, I will have to see what else I can do for the date picker.

Suggestions would be helpful.

Mike

Regulae

Post by Regulae » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 am

Hi Mike,

I've had a shot at implementing a "roll your own" version of the combo box, which seems to work in revLets. It's fairly simple, but does the job. See the attached stack.

Regards,

Michael
Attachments
ComboBox for revLet.zip
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

admin12

Post by admin12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:40 am

Regulae wrote:Hi Mike,

I've had a shot at implementing a "roll your own" version of the combo box, which seems to work in revLets. It's fairly simple, but does the job. See the attached stack.

Regards,

Michael
Thanks. Works great. If I want to apply this to different drop downs, do I just edit the combo boxes or is there something special I have to do? Are the down arrow graphics just graphics? Can they be changed (in this case, made a bit smaller to match the combo box above it)?

Great work-around!

Mike

admin12

Post by admin12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Yeah, like I said, really great work around, but I just CANNOT find the data - where the heck did you put it? I see that it calls the Month, Day and Year drop downs, but I do not see any data in the property inspector, nor do I see it hard coded. So, where did you hide it?

Mike

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi Mike,

the data are in the hidden fields "MonthDropDown", "DayDropDown" and "YearDropDown".

Best

Klaus

admin12

Post by admin12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Klaus wrote:Hi Mike,

the data are in the hidden fields "MonthDropDown", "DayDropDown" and "YearDropDown".

Best

Klaus
. . . and now I feel stupid.

Mike

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Feel free to do so 8)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”