Database applications

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kpeters

Database applications

Post by kpeters » Tue May 22, 2007 9:39 pm

How do I talk to db query objects, i.e. set the host, database, port, user & password properties as I don't want to hardwire them in the query builder?

Do you even use the query builder for anything more than basic applications? It seems to me that bypassing query objects requires quite a bit of hand coding - is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts/experiences on this.

Kai

Janschenkel
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Janschenkel » Thu May 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Kai,

The database query linked controls provide a quick way to put together a user interface to an existing database. There are some tricks that can be applied to modify and refresh queries as you navigate result sets of other queries, etc.
But it's not like FileMaker or Access and to get to the good stuff, you'll have to do a serious bit of scripting.

Naturally, these query linked objects were implemented on top of the database library. This library offers all the commands you need to connect to databases, execute queries and handle result sets in a non-visual manner.
If you go this route, it's up to you to extract columns for records and set the text of fields, the hilite of checkboxes, etc.

To find out more about the database library, go to the Revolution Documentation -> Dictionary, and type 'revdb' into the search field. I suggest that you start with the 'revOpenDatabase' function and work your way from there.

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”