Masked input?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kpeters

Masked input?

Post by kpeters » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:01 am

Hi all ~

my first attempt at a login screen - cannot find a property that would allow
me to mask the input of a field for the password.

How does one achieve this?

TIA,
Kai

vidkid

use the "ask password" dialog option

Post by vidkid » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 pm

I think if you do a search in the dictionary on "password" you'll find what you need. the command I think will do the trick is "ask password", it has an option that will allow you to catch the password in either clear text or as an encrypted string...

kpeters

Masked input?

Post by kpeters » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:42 am

Did that already and do NOT want to use it - it's a dialog!

I want to have a plain old standard login screen wih user name and password fields and a login button.

Not that I am terribly unhappy with Revolution but I haven't come across a GUI builder in 10 years or more that didn't supply this property (and others like MaxChars or CharCase for fields)....

Janschenkel
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Janschenkel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi Kai,

Revolution is by nature a general-purpose development tool. Dataabse front-ends are far more likely to have fields with input masks, maximum length, automatic uppercasing etc.
And even database vendor Progress didn't introduce a password field until Progress OpenEdge 10.1B in February of this year.

Of course, the way fields work today, finds its origin in HyperCard. Fields are in essence rich-text editors with support for multiple styles and these free-form fields have their content and style data saved together in stack files.
Anything else you want, is up to your scripting abilities. You can always search the archives of the use-revolution mailing list. Here's a lionk to the gmane archive, which makes for easy searching of the archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

kpeters

Post by kpeters » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks Jan - just what I suspected.

Being brand new to Revoluion, I just asked because I did not want to re-invent things all over.

Regards,
Kai

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”