Presales Questions... Better than Flash?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Presales Questions... Better than Flash?

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Hi,
I've just started playing around with Revolution Studio and it seems like a great tool, very powerful.
I have one quick and one not so quick questions.
1) Can Revolution run an Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) file inside the compiled application. That is... Have a screen where the .pdf is shown within the app.
2) Why is Revolution better than Flash? Flash exports to .exe and .hqx so even the Flash Player isn't needed. Maybe I have it wrong because I have a only spent a day with Revolution, but ActionScript seems pretty powerful as well.

Thanks for any help,
Simon

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi Simon,

displaying PDF files is not natively supported in Rev.

But you have some options:
1. On Mac OS X you can display PDF files in a (QuickTime) player-object.
2. You can use the altBrowser external to display a PDF fiel inside of Rev.

Check this:
http://www.runrev.com/offers/plugins.php

No opinion to Flash <-> Rev.

Regards

Klaus

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks Klaus,
Thats just what I was looking for regarding the .pdf.

Simon

malte

Post by malte » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Simon,

regarding Flash, I don't think it is a question of "better" or not. Usually it makes sense to choose the tool that fits and that is to a large extent depending on the developer using the tool, previous experience and a matter of taste. Both tools have srength and weaknesses. Flash really shines when it comes to drawing vector graphs, rev does compute a tad bit faster (speaking of a comparison to MX 2004) The real beauty of Rev IHO lies in the simplicity of the language. But that is also a culprit. Traditionally trained programmers I usually talk with use to smile at me when we first talk about the language. They usually tend to say it would be a "toy thing" or "too wordy". It usually stops once I show them chunk expressions though. <g> I ask the question: how many lines of code would you need for this:

put char 2 to 5 of word 6 of line 7 of field "myField"

As I wrote earlier it is a matter of taste and what kind of task needs to be done.

All the best,

Malte

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Malte,
I have to admit I've been around Flash and Director for many years and in one day of playing with Revolution I was more comfortable coding then I ever was with either of them. I don't get it, there are so many Flash programmers, why should I have such trouble with it.
This may be all academic at this point as my employer wants to repurpose code and as I said there are lots of Flash programmers they could hire.

Thanks for your input.
Simon

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”