Going Crazy trying to learn Revolution, Applescript puzzle.

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Redlance305

Going Crazy trying to learn Revolution, Applescript puzzle.

Post by Redlance305 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:13 pm

Know a few computer languages, trying to grasp RunRev's. It says it supports Applescript, and I can only find one simi-good example. Logically, this should work, it populates the fields, but no script action. I've tried lots of variations trying to resolve, this looks like the closest to working (my opinion), but NOT! Why not?

See attachment

What am I missing?

~David

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on myAppleScript
put fld "myIMName" on Card "AlarmSettings" into fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace " " with empty in fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus" -- Attempting to remove blank spaces from field.
put fld "myIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmSettings" into fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace " " with empty in fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" -- Attempting to remove blank spaces from field.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
put "tell application" && quote & "iChat" & quote & " activate" & cr & \
"log in service" && quote & fld "myNewIMName" on card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr & \
"set the status message to" && quote & "Status Message" & quote & cr & \
"send " & quote & fld "myTimeField" on card "AlarmMonitor" &" "& fld "myDateField" on Card "AlarmMonitor" & quote & " to buddy "& quote & fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr & \
"send " & quote & fld "myAlarmMessage" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & " to buddy " & quote & fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr into tScript
do tScript as AppleScript
put tScript into fld "BigAppleScriptBox" on Card "AlarmStatus"

-------1----------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------8--------
end myAppleScript
Attachments
Picture 4.png
It returns this in fld "BigAppleScriptBox" on Card "AlarmStatus", note the spaces after IMusername and iMbuddy name.
Picture 4.png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 4209 times

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Going Crazy trying to learn Revolution, Applescript puzzle.

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Your example shows a gap between the last non-white-space character in the Jabber address and the closing quote. Could that be related to the issue?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Redlance305

Post by Redlance305 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Unsure. Have attempted to remove 'white spaces' from the fields. (IE REPLACE) Assumed the CR at the end of each line was required by runrev (due to passing script onto OS X for execution), but a return is needed in Applescript.. From what I can tell the user (me) needs to construct one long string (in my case tScript, as it was called in the example I attempted to follow).

This string contains the "Applescript" you which to run. And I have used basically this same script for years in many of my automation projects. So I know it works (on its own).

Once constructed I pass the script on to runrev using "do tScript as AppleScript", I ASSUME.

However once all is done, it doesn't seem to do anything... I can get runrev to execute a Applescript that has been compiled into an APP, which in turn runs a script... Round about way of doing it but it works, just adds a lot of support files I didn't want to add..

If I can get runrev to do this it cuts out a LOT...
~David

bn

Post by bn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Redlance305,
I do quite some passing between applescript and RunRev. What I find hard is to construct all the applescript in runtime with all the quotes and stuff.
I then make an applescript with variable that are declared at the top of the applescript with the changing content of the variable e.g. url's and stuff. The main logic is in the applescript. I test this applescript in Script Debugger (preferably) or Script editor, to make shure it works.
I than put the working main part of the script into a field (just paste it). The variables are constructed in the script on the fly and then I append the main script in the script, which then is executed do xxx as applescript.
A lot less errorprone since a lot easier.
Mind you there are people here that use the 'merge' function to replace keywords in the applescript with the variables you want to insert. This is very elegant and efficient, but for my needs too much.
Actually applescript and Runrev work very well. No problem here once you have got it working. (see above)
an example

Code: Select all

put revMacFromUnixPath (localFilmPath) into localPathforAppleScript
    put "Set theFile to " & quote & localPathforAppleScript & quote & return into varForApplescriptAnnotations
    put field "appleScript2" after varForApplescriptAnnotations
    do varForApplescriptAnnotations as applescript
    put the result into fromAppleScriptAnnotations
and the field appleScript2 contains the main code of the applescript:

Code: Select all

tell application "QuickTime Player"
	open file theFile
	set condition2 to ""
	set Macher to ""
	set cellType to ""
	set condition1 to ""
	set theAnnos to ""
	tell movie 1
		try
			set condition2 to full text of annotation "Comment"
		end try
		try
			set Macher to full text of annotation "Copyright"
		end try
		try
			set cellType to full text of annotation "Author"
		end try
		try
			set condition1 to full text of annotation "Producer"
		end try
	end tell

set theAnnos to theAnnos & Macher & ","
	set theAnnos to theAnnos & cellType & ","
	set theAnnos to theAnnos & condition1 & ","
	set theAnnos to theAnnos & condition2
	if (count of documents) = 1 then quit
end tell
return theAnnos
here I put the file reference into the applescript variable theFile, I think you get the idea
regards
Bernd

Redlance305

Post by Redlance305 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Found the white spaces, they were coming from the file read, was able to remove them. Still no Applescript action.
Below is the output being sent to "do tScript as AppleScript"

-------------- Output ------------
tell application "iChat" activate
set the status message to "Status Message"
send "5:39:32 PM 2/28/10" to buddy "xserve01@chat.jabber.org"
send " Zone5: In Alarm 5:39:34 PM" to buddy "xserve01@chat.jabber.org"
-----------------------------------

Using the following code (please note I am new to runrev, and learning as I go (push the limits of my language knowledge). Been coding in PHP for a few years, so I have no problem dealing with all the quotes. <smile>
--------------------------
on myAppleScript
put fld "myIMName" on Card "AlarmSettings" into fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace " " with "" in fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace cr with "" in fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus"
put fld "myIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmSettings" into fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace " " with "" in fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace cr with empty in fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace cr with empty in fld "myAlarmMessage" on Card "AlarmStatus"
put "tell application" && quote & "iChat" & quote & " activate" & cr & \
"log in service" && quote & fld "myNewIMName" on card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr & \
"send " & quote & fld "myTimeField" on card "AlarmMonitor" &" "& fld "myDateField" on Card "AlarmMonitor" & quote & " to buddy "& quote & fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr & \
"send " & quote & fld "myAlarmMessage" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & " to buddy " & quote & fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr into tScript

-------1----------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------8--------
-- "send " & quote & fld "myTimeField" on card "AlarmMonitor" &" "& fld "myDateField" on Card "AlarmMonitor" & quote & " to buddy "& quote & fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr & \
end myAppleScript

Redlance305

Post by Redlance305 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:03 am

Got it!!! While trying to remove the white spaces (before my first post), I 'cleaned' up the code removing some important code. So it seems!
The code below works fine! The delays are important in Applescript, gives the OS/app enough time to open, login, etc. Plus I forgot the 'end tell' would more than likely work without it, by way risk it. - Thanks for pushing me on the white spaces!

NOW WE ARE COOKING!
Again, thanks for the help!
~David

on myAppleScript
replace " " with "" in fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace cr with "" in fld "myNewIMName" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace " " with "" in fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace cr with empty in fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus"
replace cr with empty in fld "myAlarmMessage" on Card "AlarmStatus"
put "tell application" && quote & "iChat" & quote & cr & \
"activate" & cr & \
"delay 3" & cr & \
"delay 4" & cr & \
"send " & quote & fld "myAlarmMessage" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & " to buddy " & quote & fld "myNewIMBuddy" on Card "AlarmStatus" & quote & cr & \
"end tell" into tScript
end myAppleScript

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”