Copy card

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Paul_Malloy

Copy card

Post by Paul_Malloy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:40 pm

I am coming back to Rev after a long layoff, and have had some trouble finding things in the newer documentation. I have searched the forums as well, but no luck for this very simple question. I can't recall how to copy (duplicate) an entire card. Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Copy card

Post by bn » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Paul,
open the properties inspector, choose inspect-> the card you want to copy. Then the Edit Menu lets you "Copy Card". Which you can paste later on.
regards
Bernd

Paul_Malloy

Post by Paul_Malloy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks bernd for your help. Sorry to have missed something so obvious.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon May 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi ya'll, I am experiencing some weirdness with this copy card command (v 8.1.9). Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem, or if its just me (usually :))

So, I have this card I want to copy. Version A becomes B becomes C, etc until F. At the moment I copied A and renamed it to B. Then I copied B and it was called A again, I renamed it to C. Then I copied C and when pasted it was A again. Hmmmm. Damn thing won't copy the last card I pasted. Here is an image showing the problem. I've just pasted a copy of card C and it comes out as A?? And yes, it has all the contents of A not C. Before every copy I open the card I want, I open the Property Inspector, I make sure it is the right card, and I select Copy Card, which is visible and selectable, from the Edit menu. Then when I do Control-V to paste it, I always get card A. Quite curious.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 3.17.44 PM.png
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm

I've never had a problem with the copy card command, but in this case you might have more luck with the clone command. It does what you need.

"Clone this card" will make an exact copy of the current card and place it in the stack immediately after the one that was cloned. No copy/paste required. Generally this is done from the message box or a script.

There may be a problem with the menu item you're using, since copying a card is also usually done from the message box. I actually didn't realize there was a menu item at all.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

istech

Post by istech » Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Something to check, if you have any groups on the card is that you have not selected "can't delete" option as this can cause issues with the copy process.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks all, for your suggestions. Jackie, nice to know there is more than 1 way to skin that cat. I just checked and there is no "Clone this card" menu item, so I'll be trying this from the message box.

Quick update on my previous attempts at this... Quit LC, rebooted the computer, and this time I could not duplicate my previous problem... ghost in the machine :)

Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”