livecode and the iOS clipboard

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bbalmerTotalFluency

livecode and the iOS clipboard

Post by bbalmerTotalFluency » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:22 pm

I have some data in a variable tData. I'd like to get it onto the iOS clipboard. It's 2023. Is that still not possible in any easy / direct way? I've read a lot on the forum about how it was not available in 2014. 9 years have passed. I know I can use a native control. I was hoping to not have to use a control at all and just have a button that transferred my data to the clipboard. I didn't want to put the user to the trouble of having to put the text in the control, select it all and copy but rather just have a one click solution.

stam

Re: livecode and the iOS clipboard

Post by stam » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:29 pm

Yeah still seems like this is a missing feature.
I have searched the dictionary but did not find any clipboard related access for mobile.
There was a recent discussion where either Klaus or Craig (sorry don't remember which ;) ) suggested the workaround of using Copy (which does work on mobile but I don't think can be used with a variable) - so you could in theory add a hidden field, set it's text to the text you want to copy and then use the copy command...

I am aware you don't want to use workarounds of controls, hidden or not, but not sure there is currently another option.

I looked in the bug database - surprisingly there is only a single enhancement request on this with a total of 3 posts from two developers commenting - so perhaps it's low visibility/value as apparently implementing this on Android would be a big job.

Perhaps worth adding to this enhancement request? https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19990

PBH
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: livecode and the iOS clipboard

Post by PBH » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:31 pm

I came across this a few years ago and IIRC this is an Apple issue, not a LiveCode issue. I believe it’s to do with the tighter security on iOS so the developer doesn’t have any control over the clipboard, only the end user (and probably Apple) has that privilege.

I must admit though that I haven’t looked into it further since, there may be an answer or workaround on other forums or Stackoverflow.

Paul

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”